The Cornell Center for Advanced Computing (CAC) has received a High-Performance Computing Innovation Excellence Award from the International Data Corp. "for the outstanding application of HPC (high-performance computing) for business and scientific achievements" for crunching hepatitis C virus data up to 175 times faster on its experimental MATLAB computing resource.
- Architecture - Apr 24 Cloud artist leaves lasting impression of fleeting work
- Life Sciences - Apr 24 Penn Fruitfly Study Identifies Brain Circuit that Drives Daily Cycles of Rest, Activity
- Medicine - Apr 24 Michael Owen scores in London Marathon for Manchester eye research and treatment
- Life Sciences - Apr 24 A scourge of rural Africa, the tsetse fly is genetically deciphered
- Medicine - Apr 24 Roger Roffman chronicles society’s long struggle with pot in ‘Marijuana Nation’
- Physics - Apr 24 When it comes to security at nuclear facilities, danger likely lurks from within, Stanford scholar says
- Social Sciences - Apr 24 Obama’s Asian trip reflects new global dynamics, Stanford scholar says
- Administration - Apr 24 Stronger SUNet passwords to enhance account security at Stanford
- Philosophy - Apr 24 $4.5M project focuses on hope and optimism
- Administration - Apr 24 Already sharing services, NYS schools could do more
- Chemistry - Apr 24 Lighting up the lab: Team harnesses light for controlled chemical reaction
- Chemistry - Apr 24 Coated droplets hint at formation of early cells
- Earth Sciences - Apr 24 UCL and HR Wallingford collaborate to construct Europe’s largest tsunami simulator
- Pedagogy - Apr 24 Paying closer attention to attention
- Environmental Sciences - Apr 24 Exploring the life and legacies of an untimely prophet
- Earth Sciences - Apr 24 Mega- heatwaves dissected
Center for Advanced Computing receives national award for hepatitis research
Researchers from the Centers for Disease Control (CDC) used the Cornell resource for computations that provided a better understanding of networks of coordinated amino-acid variation that may enable the discovery of new therapeutic targets for the hepatitis C virus.
The award was presented at SC11, the international conference for high-performance computing, networking, storage and analysis, in Seattle, Nov. 12-18.
MATLAB is a high-level technical computing language widely used in science. CAC deployed the language on a 512-core parallel cluster that allowed researchers to run applications rapidly by dividing problems into many parts that run simultaneously. Scientists nationwide ran applications on the MATLAB cluster from their own desktops via the TeraGrid high-speed research network.
The total lifetime medical cost for 3.6 million Americans with hepatitis will come to $360 billion in today’s dollars, researchers said. "The significance of high-performance computing to the private sector will only be fully appreciated when examples such as these are recognized for their economic value," said Cynthia McIntyre, senior vice president for the HPC Initiative at the Council on Competitiveness.
"Research on HCV is just one of the many projects that kept the MATLAB experimental resource saturated," reported David Lifka, principal investigator of the National Science Foundation-funded project that received additional support from Dell, Intel, Microsoft and MathWorks. "Over 500,000 jobs ran on the system in two years, generating new scientific insights and publications in condensed matter physics, gravitational wave detection, biomedical imaging, orthopedics, neuroscience and optics," he noted.
Project partner Purdue University also enabled the resource to work as a transparent and efficient computational engine for nanotechnology applications, he said.
Last job offers
- Life Sciences - 24.4
Post-Doctoral Position in Protein Engineering
- Social Sciences - 23.4
Dozentin / Dozent mit Unterrichts- und Forschungstätigkeit
- Computer Science - 23.4
Wissensch. Mitarbeiter/in (70 %) Neue Bildungsinhalte im Bereich Informatik
- Media Sciences - 23.4
Wissensch. Mitarbeiter/in (60 %) Kommunikation und Organisation neuer Bildungsinhalte im Bereich Informatik...
- Literature - 22.4
Doktorand/in Französische Linguistik Schwerpunkt Angewandte Linguistik
- Civil Engineering - 22.4
Wissensch. Mitarbeiterin / Wissensch. Mitarbeiter Luft-Wasserreinheit
- Physics - 24.4
Professor of Nuclear Reactor Physics
- Medicine - 24.4
Resmed Chair in Sleep-disordered Breathing & Chronic Disease Management
- Arts - 23.4
Universitätsprofessorin / Universitätsprofessor für das Fach Klavier / Klavierduo (BV gem. 99 UG 2002)...
- Business - 16.4
Universitätsassistent/in post doc Non Tenure Track (Assistant Professor, non-tenure-track)
- Law - 24.4
Professur für Strafrecht mit Kriminologie, Strafvollzugsrecht und Jugendstrafrecht
- Media Sciences - 24.4
Universitätsprofessur (Bes.-Gr. W2) für, Professionelle Kommunikation in elektronischen Medien / Social...
- Physics - 23.4
WRIPA Project Manager
- Administration - 23.4
Associate Professorship (or Professorship) in Public Policy (Public Administration and Management)
- Medicine - 24.4
Assistant/ Associate/ Full Professor
- Medicine - 24.4
Instructor / Asst Prof / Assoc Prof - OB/Gyn (Generalist)