The Cornell Center for Advanced Computing (CAC) has received a High-Performance Computing Innovation Excellence Award from the International Data Corp. "for the outstanding application of HPC (high-performance computing) for business and scientific achievements" for crunching hepatitis C virus data up to 175 times faster on its experimental MATLAB computing resource.
- Medicine - 15:02 Waters Corporation acquires iKnife technology
- Physics - 15:00 Timely arrival of Pharao space clock
- Environmental Sciences - 11:05 Invertebrate numbers nearly halve as human population doubles
- Administration - 11:00 Less than 1% of UK public research funding spent on antibiotic research in past 5 years
- Earth Sciences - 10:00 A word in your ear, but make it snappy
- Social Sciences - Jul 25 To be socially successful
- Life Sciences - Jul 24 First ever biological amplifier created by Imperial scientists
- Agronomy - Jul 24 Adults are more apt than kids to clean their plates
- Life Sciences - Jul 24 Atomic Structure of Key Muscle Component Revealed in Penn Study
- Medicine - Jul 24 Link Between Ritual Circumcision Procedure and Herpes Infection in Infants Examined by Penn Medicine Analysis
- Medicine - Jul 24 Incisionless Transcatheter Aortic Valve Replacement Surgery Associated with Shorter Hospital Stays
- Astronomy - Jul 24 Astronomers create precision map to calculate amount of dark matter in far off galaxy cluster
- Pedagogy - Jul 24 New York communities join to help teen parents
- Life Sciences - Jul 24 8.2% of our DNA is ’functional’
- Earth Sciences - Jul 24 Leaf- mining insects destroyed with the dinosaurs, others quickly appeared
- Physics - Jul 24 University spinout signs licensing deal with major semiconductor foundry
Center for Advanced Computing receives national award for hepatitis research
Researchers from the Centers for Disease Control (CDC) used the Cornell resource for computations that provided a better understanding of networks of coordinated amino-acid variation that may enable the discovery of new therapeutic targets for the hepatitis C virus.
The award was presented at SC11, the international conference for high-performance computing, networking, storage and analysis, in Seattle, Nov. 12-18.
MATLAB is a high-level technical computing language widely used in science. CAC deployed the language on a 512-core parallel cluster that allowed researchers to run applications rapidly by dividing problems into many parts that run simultaneously. Scientists nationwide ran applications on the MATLAB cluster from their own desktops via the TeraGrid high-speed research network.
The total lifetime medical cost for 3.6 million Americans with hepatitis will come to $360 billion in today’s dollars, researchers said. "The significance of high-performance computing to the private sector will only be fully appreciated when examples such as these are recognized for their economic value," said Cynthia McIntyre, senior vice president for the HPC Initiative at the Council on Competitiveness.
"Research on HCV is just one of the many projects that kept the MATLAB experimental resource saturated," reported David Lifka, principal investigator of the National Science Foundation-funded project that received additional support from Dell, Intel, Microsoft and MathWorks. "Over 500,000 jobs ran on the system in two years, generating new scientific insights and publications in condensed matter physics, gravitational wave detection, biomedical imaging, orthopedics, neuroscience and optics," he noted.
Project partner Purdue University also enabled the resource to work as a transparent and efficient computational engine for nanotechnology applications, he said.
Last job offers
- Medicine - 24.7
- Business - 23.7
Professor in Marketing
- Chemistry - 22.7
PhD Scholarship in Chemistry (Synthesis Polymeric Nanomaterials)
- Mathematics - 22.7
BereichsleiterIn Forschungsförderung 80-100%
- Social Sciences - 17.7
Wissensch. Mitarbeiter/in (80 %)
- Mechanical Engineering - 16.7
Senior Wissenschaftlerin / Senior Wissenschaftler Energieforschung
- Business - 24.7
Associate Professor in Accounting
- Medicine - 23.7
Professor / Associate Professor in advanced Practice Nursing (Geriatric care)
- Social Sciences - 23.7
Universitätsprofessorin / Universitätsprofessor für das Fach Stilkunde und Aufführungspraxis (BV gem....
- Physics - 17.7
Stiftungsprofessur Schwerpunkt Photonik
- Microtechnics - 8.7
- Business - 12.6
Professorship in Economics of Energy Markets
- Computer Science - 24.7
Database Manager / Bioinformatician
- Administration - 23.7
Deputy Office Manager / Personal Assistant to the Pro-Provosts and the Professor
- Business - 25.7
Associate Professor/ Professor
- Medicine - 25.7
Assistant Professor- Pediatric Radiology