- Life Sciences - 13:00 Bristol undergraduates publish parasite research
- Medicine - 11:01 Degree in sleep medicine aims to awaken understanding of overlooked condition
- Medicine - 11:00 Researchers and pharma in innovative new consortium to develop and study early stage drugs
- Environmental Sciences - 10:00 Microscopic organism to make green fuels in new project
- Medicine - 09:03 Cancer screening - are we harming the healthy?
- Event - 09:00 Sochi Winter Olympics ’cost billions more than estimated’
- Medicine - Jul 28 Firms "underinvest" in long- term cancer research
- Architecture - Jul 28 Women architects debate future ways to work
- Medicine - Jul 27 Court Rules UC San Diego is Rightful Owner of Alzheimer’s Disease Cooperative Study Data
- Astronomy - Jul 27 2 UCLA astronomers have key roles in development of world’s largest array of gamma- ray telescopes
- Arts - Jul 27 How Sweet the Sound
- Mechanical Engineering - Jul 27 State Vehicle Safety Inspections Should Continue
- Physics - Jul 27 The latest results from the LHC experiments are presented in Vienna
- History - Jul 27 Most compelling evidence yet of Cardiff’s 6,000-year- old origins
- Life Sciences - Jul 27 Kernel got naked and corn became king
- Medicine - Jul 27 Major projects to bring innovative pathology tests to patients for better treatment
Historian gives thanks to medieval Arab medics
One of the nation’s leading medical historians has acknowledged the extent of Western medicine’s debt to medieval Arab doctors in a new book.
Professor Peter E Pormann from The University of Manchester says too few people realise European and Arab doctors were part of the same medical tradition which played a pivotal role in the development of medicine as we know it.
“Arabic was the scientific language which united doctors 850 year ago and which contributed to a medical discourse that went beyond country and creed,” he said.
“Jew, Christian and Moslem worked together in an openness within medicine which more or less has continued to this day.”
The minute clinical observations of the clinician al-Rāzī, he says - who even once used a control group to test a medical procedure - are a 850-year-old blueprint for how doctors work today.
Al-Rāzī was one of the many clinicians to be inspired by Arabic translations, he says, making great strides in their understanding of medicine and forming the basis of what we know today.
De Gruyters publishes Epidemics in Context this month, edited by Professor Pormann, which casts new light on the translated commentaries of one of the books by Hippocrates, the father of medicine, called the Epidemics.
Galen’s commentaries on Hippocrates, are still considered to be among the most important works in medical literature.
Professor Pormann said: “Both Hippocrates’ Epidemics and Galen’s commentary on them constitute milestones in the development of clinical medicine.
“Galen produced an extensive commentary on this text, as did other medical authors writing in Greek, Latin, Arabic, and Hebrew.
“But it’s the Arabic tradition which is particularly rich, with more than a dozen commentaries extant in over a hundred manuscripts.
“These Arabic commentaries did not merely contain scholastic debates, but constituted important venues for innovation and change.
Last job offers
- Physics/Materials Science - 28.7
Faculty Position in Plasma Physics
- Civil Engineering - 28.7
Faculty Positions in Transportation Engineering and Transportation Systems
- Computer Science/Telecom - 24.7
4 Doctoral Student/Post-Doc Positions (Salary Scale 13 TV-L)
- Life Sciences - 22.7
Wissenschaftliche Assistenten und Assistentinnen in angewandter Forschung
- Pedagogy/Education Science - 21.7
Professeur-e ordinaire ou associé-e dans le domaine Intervention en situation scolaire
- Pedagogy/Education Science - 20.7
Projektleiter/in als Wissensch. Mitarbeiter/in (80−100 %) Arbeits- und Organisationspsychologie...
- Environmental Sciences - 27.7
Assistant Professor: Global Environmental Change (1, 0 FTE)
- Media Sciences - 27.7
Full professor in Communication and Consumer Behaviour
- Arts and Design - 15.7
Universitätsprofessorin / Universitätsprofessor für das Fach Musiktheater-Regie (BV gem. § 99 UG )
- Social Sciences - 13.7
Universitätsprofessorin / Universitätsprofessor für das Fach Instrumental- und Gesangspädagogik (BV gem....
- - 27.7
- Environmental Sciences - 27.7
Professur (W2) für Umweltkommunikation oder Umweltpsychologie
- Pedagogy/Education Science - 27.7
Assistant Professor in Quantitative Research Methods in Politics and/or International Relations (Teaching...
- Mathematics - 25.7
Assistant Professor in Mathematical Physics (Fixed-term)
- Medicine/Pharmacology - 28.7
Asst/Assoc/Full Professor - Anesthesiology
- Literature/Linguistics - 28.7
Assistant Professor in Modern Chinese Languages