The UCLA Nathanson Family Resilience Center and the nonprofit Rx Laughter are teaming up with the legendary Second City Training Center to offer an innovative, humor-based project that uses improvisational comedy techniques to help military families deal with the traumatic effects of war.
- Environmental Sciences - Sep 2 Dwindling waterways challenge desert fish in warming world
- Physics - Sep 2 No Fukushima Radiation Found in Coastal Areas
- Chemistry - Sep 2 Attractive Kick- off of NCCR «Molecular System Engineering»
- Earth Sciences - Sep 2 New satellite maps out Napa Valley earthquake
- Medicine - Sep 2 Novartis to unveil new data from three key clinical trials at European Respiratory Society International Congress 2014
- Astronomy - Sep 1 Report finds positives in proposed LA minimum wage hike
- Medicine - Aug 30 Novartis’ LCZ696 cut cardiovascular deaths by 20%
- Administration - Aug 29 Twenty- five names added to University’s First World War roll of honour
- Life Sciences - Aug 29 Going to Extremes for Enzymes
- History - Aug 29 Anti- Semitism surge in Europe reflects loss of values, historical awareness, says Stanford scholar
- Philosophy - Aug 29 Critics pour cold water on the Ice Bucket Challenge: are they right?
- Life Sciences - Aug 28 Flapping baby birds give clues to origin of flight
- Careers - Aug 28 Comment: A stuttering recovery is the smokescreen for an attack on European employment rights
- Medicine - Aug 28 Arthritis patients failing to take expensive medication, according to research
- Life Sciences - Aug 27 A touching story: The ancient conversation between plants, fungi and bacteria
- Social Sciences - Aug 27 Cool Roofs in China Can Save Energy and Reduce Emissions
Improv comedy workshops at UCLA to help military families deal with effects of war
In the free two-hour workshops, the first of which will be held at UCLA for military parents and their children on April 22, participants will learn the basic principles of improvisation to enhance family communication, reduce stress and promote family togetherness. Through the use of humor, families will be given the opportunity to not only laugh as a family but to take home valuable skills for family fun nights. Additional workshops are scheduled for May and June.
"When Sherry Hilber of Rx Laughter contacted us with the idea to use improvisational comedy to help our military families, I was immediately intrigued," said Catherine Mogil, an assistant clinical professor at the Nathanson Center, which is part of the Semel Institute for Neuroscience and Human Behavior at UCLA. "Humor is so important for emotional healing for military families who can get worn down by years of our country being at war. We hope this afternoon of fun and laughter will offer them a chance to reconnect as a family."
"There is a great need for our military families to have a place where they can feel free to express their emotions in an emotionally safe environment, learning how to use humor to see the positive side of a situation to help reduce conflict and stress," said Sherry Hilber, founder and president of Rx Laughter and a veteran primetime network comedy executive. "We hope this workshop is the first of many more uplifting sessions for military families in need."
For information on upcoming dates and to sign up, please Julie D’Amico at the UCLA Nathanson Family Resilience Center by phone at 310-267-0622 or by email at jdamico [a] mednet.ucla (p) edu.
Rx Laughter is a humor research, therapeutic and educational nonprofit charity that creates and implements projects that advance the emotional and physical health of children and adults who are battling serious illnesses and trauma.
The Second City Training Center founded over 50 years ago, is the world’s premier school of improvisational training for children and adults.
The UCLA Nathanson Family Resilience Center promotes family resilience through service programs, provider training and research.
Last job offers
- Social Sciences - 2.9
PhD candidate SwiSCI SNF (100%)
- Social Sciences - 1.9
Zwei Dozierende mit Unterrichts- und Forschungstätigkeit
- Life Sciences - 29.8
Post-doc or research scientist for aerosol chemistry
- Business - 29.8
Wissenschaftliche/r MitarbeiterIn und DoktorandIn in Bank- und Finanzmanagement
- Life Sciences - 29.8
PhD position: Bioinformatic data integration: Assessing microbial biodiversity of agricultural ecosystems...
- Physics - 27.8
Lecturer Sustainable Energy Systems
- Administration - 2.9
Professor i rättsvetenskap
- Pedagogy - 2.9
Associate Professor of Teaching Foreign Languages
- Computer Science - 19.8
Professur Signal Processing (m/w)
- Social Sciences - 7.8
Kennung 422/14 - Assoziierte Professur am Zentrum für Gebärdensprache und Hörbehindertenkommunikation...
- - 2.9
Professur - Fak. V, Inst. fuer Luft- und Raumfahrt (02.09.2014)
- Medicine - 1.9
The University of Duisburg-Essen Medical Center is inviting applications for a professorship in Neurology...
- Administration - 1.9
Associate Professorship (or Professorship) in Public Policy (Global Economic Governance)
- Business - 27.8
Lecturer (Assistant Professor) in Finance
- Business - 2.9
Assistant, Associate, Full Professor - Accounting
- Social Sciences - 1.9
Professor of Sociology: Family Sociology