The UCLA Nathanson Family Resilience Center and the nonprofit Rx Laughter are teaming up with the legendary Second City Training Center to offer an innovative, humor-based project that uses improvisational comedy techniques to help military families deal with the traumatic effects of war.
- Astronomy - Jul 23 ATV-5: loaded and locked
- Medicine - Jul 23 The human parasite Leishmania is a probiotic for the fly that carries it
- Astronomy - Jul 23 Galileo’s ’midwives’ stand ready for launch
- Medicine - Jul 23 Probing Question: What is whisper therapy?
- Business - Jul 23 High school interns bring curiosity, open minds to Stanford labs
- Computer Science - Jul 23 Carnegie Mellon Will Partner With Duolingo To Evaluate English Language Certification Test
- Medicine - Jul 23 Grant generates increased access, network training to Dairyland Initiative
- Architecture - Jul 23 Historical guide ‘Shaping Seattle Architecture’ returns in second edition
- Medicine - Jul 23 Optimising immunotherapy for autoimmune disease: Dr Sarah Howlett
- Life Sciences - Jul 23 Dr Lars Dolken
- Life Sciences - Jul 23 Policy on the use of animals in research
- Environmental Sciences - Jul 23 Teams up with BBC to launch World War One MOOC
- History - Jul 23 Town meets gown to explore Wisconsin’s Trempealeau mounds
- Life Sciences - Jul 23 ANU wins funding for Future Fellowships
- Astronomy - Jul 22 Call Alex: live SocialSpace with Alexander Gerst in orbit
Improv comedy workshops at UCLA to help military families deal with effects of war
In the free two-hour workshops, the first of which will be held at UCLA for military parents and their children on April 22, participants will learn the basic principles of improvisation to enhance family communication, reduce stress and promote family togetherness. Through the use of humor, families will be given the opportunity to not only laugh as a family but to take home valuable skills for family fun nights. Additional workshops are scheduled for May and June.
"When Sherry Hilber of Rx Laughter contacted us with the idea to use improvisational comedy to help our military families, I was immediately intrigued," said Catherine Mogil, an assistant clinical professor at the Nathanson Center, which is part of the Semel Institute for Neuroscience and Human Behavior at UCLA. "Humor is so important for emotional healing for military families who can get worn down by years of our country being at war. We hope this afternoon of fun and laughter will offer them a chance to reconnect as a family."
"There is a great need for our military families to have a place where they can feel free to express their emotions in an emotionally safe environment, learning how to use humor to see the positive side of a situation to help reduce conflict and stress," said Sherry Hilber, founder and president of Rx Laughter and a veteran primetime network comedy executive. "We hope this workshop is the first of many more uplifting sessions for military families in need."
For information on upcoming dates and to sign up, please Julie D’Amico at the UCLA Nathanson Family Resilience Center by phone at 310-267-0622 or by email at jdamico [a] mednet.ucla (p) edu.
Rx Laughter is a humor research, therapeutic and educational nonprofit charity that creates and implements projects that advance the emotional and physical health of children and adults who are battling serious illnesses and trauma.
The Second City Training Center founded over 50 years ago, is the world’s premier school of improvisational training for children and adults.
The UCLA Nathanson Family Resilience Center promotes family resilience through service programs, provider training and research.
Last job offers
- Medicine - 24.7
- Business - 23.7
Professor in Marketing
- Chemistry - 22.7
PhD Scholarship in Chemistry (Synthesis Polymeric Nanomaterials)
- Mathematics - 22.7
BereichsleiterIn Forschungsförderung 80-100%
- Social Sciences - 17.7
Wissensch. Mitarbeiter/in (80 %)
- Mechanical Engineering - 16.7
Senior Wissenschaftlerin / Senior Wissenschaftler Energieforschung
- Medicine - 23.7
Professor / Associate Professor in advanced Practice Nursing (Geriatric care)
- Business - 23.7
Associate Professor in Accounting
- Social Sciences - 23.7
Universitätsprofessorin / Universitätsprofessor für das Fach Stilkunde und Aufführungspraxis (BV gem....
- Physics - 17.7
Stiftungsprofessur Schwerpunkt Photonik
- Microtechnics - 8.7
- Business - 12.6
Professorship in Economics of Energy Markets
- Administration - 23.7
Deputy Office Manager / Personal Assistant to the Pro-Provosts and the Professor
- Pedagogy - 23.7
Professor of Energy Policy
- Business - 23.7
Fixed-term II (Part-time) Faculty Positions for 2014/2015 Academic Year
- Medicine - 22.7
Asst/Assoc / Professor of Pediatrics (Critical Care)