The UCLA Nathanson Family Resilience Center and the nonprofit Rx Laughter are teaming up with the legendary Second City Training Center to offer an innovative, humor-based project that uses improvisational comedy techniques to help military families deal with the traumatic effects of war.
- Business - 14:01 Research to help business decision- makers protect against cyber attack
- Physics - Sep 30 3 Questions: Jim Walsh on the elusive U.S.- Iran nuclear treaty
- Philosophy - Sep 30 Studying time makes this philosopher tick
- Life Sciences - Sep 30 Computer models help cerebral palsy patients step out
- Environmental Sciences - Sep 30 Research could help save billions of dollars as sea levels rise
- Business - Sep 29 Cohabiting couples differ on contraceptive use by class
- Physics - Sep 29 Ithaca Physics Bus and local teens take physics to NYC
- Environmental Sciences - Sep 29 Drought linked to climate change
- Medicine - Sep 29 Researchers participate in U.N. Culture of Peace forum
- Environmental Sciences - Sep 29 Mountain pine beetles get a bad rap for wildfires, study says
- Medicine - Sep 29 Scientists engineer antibiotics to catch up in race against drug resistance
- Medicine - Sep 29 We can eliminate rabies, say researchers
- Life Sciences - Sep 29 Modeling shockwaves through the brain
- Medicine - Sep 29 Research partnership
- Medicine - Sep 29 Behind every great man... the role of women in the lives of the "Football Fans In Training" men
- Physics - Sep 29 CERN turns 60 and celebrates peaceful collaboration for science
Improv comedy workshops at UCLA to help military families deal with effects of war
In the free two-hour workshops, the first of which will be held at UCLA for military parents and their children on April 22, participants will learn the basic principles of improvisation to enhance family communication, reduce stress and promote family togetherness. Through the use of humor, families will be given the opportunity to not only laugh as a family but to take home valuable skills for family fun nights. Additional workshops are scheduled for May and June.
"When Sherry Hilber of Rx Laughter contacted us with the idea to use improvisational comedy to help our military families, I was immediately intrigued," said Catherine Mogil, an assistant clinical professor at the Nathanson Center, which is part of the Semel Institute for Neuroscience and Human Behavior at UCLA. "Humor is so important for emotional healing for military families who can get worn down by years of our country being at war. We hope this afternoon of fun and laughter will offer them a chance to reconnect as a family."
"There is a great need for our military families to have a place where they can feel free to express their emotions in an emotionally safe environment, learning how to use humor to see the positive side of a situation to help reduce conflict and stress," said Sherry Hilber, founder and president of Rx Laughter and a veteran primetime network comedy executive. "We hope this workshop is the first of many more uplifting sessions for military families in need."
For information on upcoming dates and to sign up, please Julie D’Amico at the UCLA Nathanson Family Resilience Center by phone at 310-267-0622 or by email at jdamico [a] mednet.ucla (p) edu.
Rx Laughter is a humor research, therapeutic and educational nonprofit charity that creates and implements projects that advance the emotional and physical health of children and adults who are battling serious illnesses and trauma.
The Second City Training Center founded over 50 years ago, is the world’s premier school of improvisational training for children and adults.
The UCLA Nathanson Family Resilience Center promotes family resilience through service programs, provider training and research.
Last job offers
- Pedagogy - 30.9
Postdoc (50%) in Deutsch als Fremdsprache / Zweitsprache
- Psychology - 30.9
Professeur-e associé-e ou Professeur-e assistant-e en PTC en psychologie du counseling
- Life Sciences - 26.9
Wissenschaftliche Mitarbeiterin / Wissenschaftlichen Mitarbeiter
- Social Sciences - 24.9
Maître d’enseignement et de recherche en sociologie de la communication et de la culture
- Psychology - 23.9
Maître d’enseignement et de recherche de type 2 (MER2) en consultation en psychologie de l’enfant...
- Sport Sciences - 23.9
Professeur-e associée en sciences sociales
- Medicine - 29.9
Professor or Associate Professor Of breast Surgery
- Microtechnics - 29.9
Chair in Computer Engineering
- Business - 19.9
UniversitätsprofessorIn für die Stiftungsprofessur "Industrielle Energiesysteme"
- Literature - 17.9
Universitätsprofessur für Anglistische Sprachwissenschaft
- Business - 26.9
Professur, Betriebswirtschaftslehre/ Nachhaltige Finanzdienstleistungen, insbesondere Banken"
- Law - 25.9
Juniorprofessur (Tenure Track) für Strafrecht in der Juristischen Fakultät (Ausschreibungsfrist: 27.10.2014)...
- Administration - 25.9
Associate Professorship (or Professorship) in Behavioural Science and Public Policy
- Life Sciences - 24.9
Readerships / Professorships, Sainsbury Wellcome Centre for Neural Circuits and Behaviour
- Life Sciences - 30.9
Assistant / Associate Professor - Physiology
- Literature - 30.9
Asst. Prof.- English/Dir. Writing Center