The UCLA Nathanson Family Resilience Center and the nonprofit Rx Laughter are teaming up with the legendary Second City Training Center to offer an innovative, humor-based project that uses improvisational comedy techniques to help military families deal with the traumatic effects of war.
- Sport Sciences - Apr 17 Toronto 2015 Pan Am/Parapan Am Games: the science of sprinting
- Medicine - Apr 17 Statement from U of M president following New York Times story
- Medicine - Apr 17 New developments in Midwestern canine influenza outbreak
- Medicine - Apr 17 Chancellor Michael Wilson named chair of Mental Health Commission of Canada
- Environmental Sciences - Apr 17 Fast access to CryoSat’s Arctic ice measurements now available
- Event - Apr 17 Children with disabilities can make competent witnesses
- Psychology - Apr 17 Leaders who can read the crowd do better
- Social Sciences - Apr 17 Victorian youth re-offending rates significantly lower than today
- Medicine - Apr 17 Cognitive problems are common after cardiac arrest
- Social Sciences - Apr 17 Manifesto Check: Conservatives talk tough but bring nothing new on immigration
- Arts - Apr 17 Thumbnail track pad
- Medicine - Apr 16 Sandoz receives FDA approval for GlatopaTM as the first generic competitor to MS therapy Copaxone 20mg
- Social Sciences - Apr 16 Manifesto Check: on immigration, UKIP offers only confusion
- Chemistry - Apr 16 Scientists collaborate on project to make next generation industrial filters
- Medicine - Apr 16 Victorian baby teeth could help predict future health of children today
- Astronomy - Apr 16 GOCE helps tap into sustainable energy resources
Improv comedy workshops at UCLA to help military families deal with effects of war
In the free two-hour workshops, the first of which will be held at UCLA for military parents and their children on April 22, participants will learn the basic principles of improvisation to enhance family communication, reduce stress and promote family togetherness. Through the use of humor, families will be given the opportunity to not only laugh as a family but to take home valuable skills for family fun nights. Additional workshops are scheduled for May and June.
"When Sherry Hilber of Rx Laughter contacted us with the idea to use improvisational comedy to help our military families, I was immediately intrigued," said Catherine Mogil, an assistant clinical professor at the Nathanson Center, which is part of the Semel Institute for Neuroscience and Human Behavior at UCLA. "Humor is so important for emotional healing for military families who can get worn down by years of our country being at war. We hope this afternoon of fun and laughter will offer them a chance to reconnect as a family."
"There is a great need for our military families to have a place where they can feel free to express their emotions in an emotionally safe environment, learning how to use humor to see the positive side of a situation to help reduce conflict and stress," said Sherry Hilber, founder and president of Rx Laughter and a veteran primetime network comedy executive. "We hope this workshop is the first of many more uplifting sessions for military families in need."
For information on upcoming dates and to sign up, please Julie D’Amico at the UCLA Nathanson Family Resilience Center by phone at 310-267-0622 or by email at jdamico [a] mednet.ucla (p) edu.
Rx Laughter is a humor research, therapeutic and educational nonprofit charity that creates and implements projects that advance the emotional and physical health of children and adults who are battling serious illnesses and trauma.
The Second City Training Center founded over 50 years ago, is the world’s premier school of improvisational training for children and adults.
The UCLA Nathanson Family Resilience Center promotes family resilience through service programs, provider training and research.
Last job offers
- Pedagogy/Education Science - 17.4
- Social Sciences - 17.4
Wissensch. Mitarbeiter/in (80 %) Übergänge Schule – Beruf – Selbständige Lebensführung
- Medicine/Pharmacology - 15.4
Wissensch. Mitarbeiter/in Naturwissenschaftsdidaktik (40−50 %)
- Business/Economics - 13.4
EPFL / Schweizerische Post: Doktorandenstelle zum Thema “Bargeldentwicklung 202X”
- Architecture - 9.4
Professeur-e HES - Responsable de son Département Architecture d’intérieur
- Mathematics - 7.4
Dozent/in (60–80 %) Fachwissenschaft Mathematik
- Event - 17.4
Professor II/førsteamanuensis 20% i medisin (helsefag) knyttet til hovedstilling ved Regionsenter for...
- Administration/Government - 17.4
Professor/førsteamanuensis i skatterett
- Chemistry - 17.4
Professur für Chemische Verfahrenstechnik
- Business/Economics - 15.4
Universitätsassistentin mit Doktorat für Professoren-Laufbahnstelle
- Mechanical Engineering - 17.4
- Media Sciences - 17.4
Professur für Europäische Politik
- Medicine/Pharmacology - 17.4
Lecturer (Grade 8) or Associate Professor (Grade 9) in decision-analytic modelling for economic evaluations...
- Media Sciences - 17.4
Chair in Political Science / International Studies- 31505
- Life Sciences - 18.4
Faculty Position in Surgical Pathology
- Life Sciences - 17.4
Assistant / Associate Professor of Genetics and Complex Diseases