The UCLA Nathanson Family Resilience Center and the nonprofit Rx Laughter are teaming up with the legendary Second City Training Center to offer an innovative, humor-based project that uses improvisational comedy techniques to help military families deal with the traumatic effects of war.
- Medicine - 08:00 FDA Approves Roche’s HPV Test for First- Line Primary Screening for Cervical Cancer
- Medicine - 08:00 Novartis’ INSTEAD study for Onbrez Breezhaler in patients with moderate COPD meets primary objective
- Philosophy - 07:00 Investigating Hitler’s philosophers
- Architecture - Apr 24 Cloud artist leaves lasting impression of fleeting work
- Agronomy - Apr 24 Society’s fixation with children’s weight can be counterproductive
- Life Sciences - Apr 24 Penn Fruitfly Study Identifies Brain Circuit that Drives Daily Cycles of Rest, Activity
- Medicine - Apr 24 Michael Owen scores in London Marathon for Manchester eye research and treatment
- Life Sciences - Apr 24 A scourge of rural Africa, the tsetse fly is genetically deciphered
- Medicine - Apr 24 Roger Roffman chronicles society’s long struggle with pot in ‘Marijuana Nation’
- Physics - Apr 24 When it comes to security at nuclear facilities, danger likely lurks from within, Stanford scholar says
- Social Sciences - Apr 24 Obama’s Asian trip reflects new global dynamics, Stanford scholar says
- Administration - Apr 24 Stronger SUNet passwords to enhance account security at Stanford
- Philosophy - Apr 24 $4.5M project focuses on hope and optimism
- Administration - Apr 24 Already sharing services, NYS schools could do more
- Chemistry - Apr 24 Lighting up the lab: Team harnesses light for controlled chemical reaction
- Chemistry - Apr 24 Coated droplets hint at formation of early cells
Improv comedy workshops at UCLA to help military families deal with effects of war
In the free two-hour workshops, the first of which will be held at UCLA for military parents and their children on April 22, participants will learn the basic principles of improvisation to enhance family communication, reduce stress and promote family togetherness. Through the use of humor, families will be given the opportunity to not only laugh as a family but to take home valuable skills for family fun nights. Additional workshops are scheduled for May and June.
"When Sherry Hilber of Rx Laughter contacted us with the idea to use improvisational comedy to help our military families, I was immediately intrigued," said Catherine Mogil, an assistant clinical professor at the Nathanson Center, which is part of the Semel Institute for Neuroscience and Human Behavior at UCLA. "Humor is so important for emotional healing for military families who can get worn down by years of our country being at war. We hope this afternoon of fun and laughter will offer them a chance to reconnect as a family."
"There is a great need for our military families to have a place where they can feel free to express their emotions in an emotionally safe environment, learning how to use humor to see the positive side of a situation to help reduce conflict and stress," said Sherry Hilber, founder and president of Rx Laughter and a veteran primetime network comedy executive. "We hope this workshop is the first of many more uplifting sessions for military families in need."
For information on upcoming dates and to sign up, please Julie D’Amico at the UCLA Nathanson Family Resilience Center by phone at 310-267-0622 or by email at jdamico [a] mednet.ucla (p) edu.
Rx Laughter is a humor research, therapeutic and educational nonprofit charity that creates and implements projects that advance the emotional and physical health of children and adults who are battling serious illnesses and trauma.
The Second City Training Center founded over 50 years ago, is the world’s premier school of improvisational training for children and adults.
The UCLA Nathanson Family Resilience Center promotes family resilience through service programs, provider training and research.
Last job offers
- Computer Science - 25.4
- Life Sciences - 24.4
Post-Doctoral Position in Protein Engineering
- Social Sciences - 23.4
Dozentin / Dozent mit Unterrichts- und Forschungstätigkeit
- Computer Science - 23.4
Wissensch. Mitarbeiter/in (70 %) Neue Bildungsinhalte im Bereich Informatik
- Media Sciences - 23.4
Wissensch. Mitarbeiter/in (60 %) Kommunikation und Organisation neuer Bildungsinhalte im Bereich Informatik...
- Literature - 22.4
Doktorand/in Französische Linguistik Schwerpunkt Angewandte Linguistik
- Physics - 24.4
Professor of Nuclear Reactor Physics
- Medicine - 24.4
Resmed Chair in Sleep-disordered Breathing & Chronic Disease Management
- Arts - 23.4
Universitätsprofessorin / Universitätsprofessor für das Fach Klavier / Klavierduo (BV gem. 99 UG 2002)...
- Business - 16.4
Universitätsassistent/in post doc Non Tenure Track (Assistant Professor, non-tenure-track)
- Law - 24.4
Professur für Strafrecht mit Kriminologie, Strafvollzugsrecht und Jugendstrafrecht
- Media Sciences - 24.4
Universitätsprofessur (Bes.-Gr. W2) für, Professionelle Kommunikation in elektronischen Medien / Social...
- Physics - 23.4
WRIPA Project Manager
- Administration - 23.4
Associate Professorship (or Professorship) in Public Policy (Public Administration and Management)
- Medicine - 24.4
Assistant/ Associate/ Full Professor
- Medicine - 24.4
Instructor / Asst Prof / Assoc Prof - OB/Gyn (Generalist)