The UCLA Nathanson Family Resilience Center and the nonprofit Rx Laughter are teaming up with the legendary Second City Training Center to offer an innovative, humor-based project that uses improvisational comedy techniques to help military families deal with the traumatic effects of war.
- Astronomy - 18:00 Costa Concordia tow
- Environmental Sciences - 17:02 Scientists head to tropical rainforests for climate study
- Medicine - 17:02 Medical libraries go online for all
- Astronomy - 17:00 Lifetime of gravity measurements heralds new beginning
- Business - 16:02 Cyber- crime costs region’s businesses almost £107 million a year – a new report reveals
- Environmental Sciences - 14:06 Scientists challenge theory on protection of threatened species
- Physics - 14:00 Watching Schrodinger’s cat die
- Medicine - 12:08 Dissolvable fabric loaded with medicine might offer faster protection against HIV
- Astronomy - 12:00 Mars rover sets record after logging more than 25 miles
- Medicine - 11:01 AstraZeneca and Roche announce a collaboration to develop a diagnostic test for the treatment of lung cancer
- Arts - Jul 30 More to an image than meets the eye
- Astronomy - Jul 29 Last ATV lifts off to supply the Space Station
- Medicine - Jul 29 Urbanisation of rural Africa associated with increased risk of heart disease and diabetes
- Medicine - Jul 29 Yale’s Roy Herbst to be featured on Times Square billboard
- Environmental Sciences - Jul 29 Huge waves measured for first time in Arctic Ocean
- Medicine - Jul 29 Health Sciences News Digest 7.29.2014
Improv comedy workshops at UCLA to help military families deal with effects of war
In the free two-hour workshops, the first of which will be held at UCLA for military parents and their children on April 22, participants will learn the basic principles of improvisation to enhance family communication, reduce stress and promote family togetherness. Through the use of humor, families will be given the opportunity to not only laugh as a family but to take home valuable skills for family fun nights. Additional workshops are scheduled for May and June.
"When Sherry Hilber of Rx Laughter contacted us with the idea to use improvisational comedy to help our military families, I was immediately intrigued," said Catherine Mogil, an assistant clinical professor at the Nathanson Center, which is part of the Semel Institute for Neuroscience and Human Behavior at UCLA. "Humor is so important for emotional healing for military families who can get worn down by years of our country being at war. We hope this afternoon of fun and laughter will offer them a chance to reconnect as a family."
"There is a great need for our military families to have a place where they can feel free to express their emotions in an emotionally safe environment, learning how to use humor to see the positive side of a situation to help reduce conflict and stress," said Sherry Hilber, founder and president of Rx Laughter and a veteran primetime network comedy executive. "We hope this workshop is the first of many more uplifting sessions for military families in need."
For information on upcoming dates and to sign up, please Julie D’Amico at the UCLA Nathanson Family Resilience Center by phone at 310-267-0622 or by email at jdamico [a] mednet.ucla (p) edu.
Rx Laughter is a humor research, therapeutic and educational nonprofit charity that creates and implements projects that advance the emotional and physical health of children and adults who are battling serious illnesses and trauma.
The Second City Training Center founded over 50 years ago, is the world’s premier school of improvisational training for children and adults.
The UCLA Nathanson Family Resilience Center promotes family resilience through service programs, provider training and research.
Last job offers
- Medicine - 30.7
Faculty Position in Clinical Neuroengineering and Human-Machine Interaction
- Environmental Sciences - 28.7
Professeur-e en développement durable
- Medicine - 24.7
- Business - 23.7
Professor in Marketing
- Chemistry - 22.7
PhD Scholarship in Chemistry (Synthesis Polymeric Nanomaterials)
- Mathematics - 22.7
BereichsleiterIn Forschungsförderung 80-100%
- Medicine - 29.7
Leonard p Ullmann Chair in Translational Metabolic Health
- Business - 29.7
Professors of Management
- Social Sciences - 23.7
Universitätsprofessorin / Universitätsprofessor für das Fach Stilkunde und Aufführungspraxis (BV gem....
- Physics - 17.7
Stiftungsprofessur Schwerpunkt Photonik
- Business - 12.6
Professorship in Economics of Energy Markets
- Business - 29.7
- Mechanical Engineering - 29.7
Professor in Engineering Design
- Chemistry - 28.7
Research Administrator for the Herchel Smith Professor of Organic Chemistry Group
- Earth Sciences - 30.7
- Medicine - 29.7
Assistant or Associate Professor