The UCLA Nathanson Family Resilience Center and the nonprofit Rx Laughter are teaming up with the legendary Second City Training Center to offer an innovative, humor-based project that uses improvisational comedy techniques to help military families deal with the traumatic effects of war.
- Medicine - 07:00 Bald truth about auto- immune disease
- Medicine - Dec 22 Melbourne early career researchers win cancer prize
- Medicine - Dec 22 Bald truth about autoimmune disease
- Literature - Dec 20 A Book of Strange and Wonderful Tales and its Eminent Translator
- Life Sciences - Dec 19 Stanford chemists take step toward solving mystery of how enzymes work
- Medicine - Dec 19 Ways to improve public health at beaches
- Social Sciences - Dec 19 Strong neighborhood ties can help reduce gun violence
- Medicine - Dec 19 Imperial strengthens senior health leadership roles
- Physics - Dec 19 Dynamic New App for Learning About Particle Physics Now Available
- Medicine - Dec 19 U of T's great cities stories of 2014: the year in review
- Life Sciences - Dec 19 Lost memories might be able to be restored, new UCLA study indicates
- Computer Science - Dec 19 Prime Minister learns how Lancaster University technology protects children online
- Business - Dec 19 Diverse ideas served up at first food systems summit
- Mechanical Engineering - Dec 19 Shaping the future of aviation
- Social Sciences - Dec 19 Vitamin D link to short- sightedness ruled out
- Environmental Sciences - Dec 19 Weighing risks and rewards, pregnant women eat less fish
Improv comedy workshops at UCLA to help military families deal with effects of war
In the free two-hour workshops, the first of which will be held at UCLA for military parents and their children on April 22, participants will learn the basic principles of improvisation to enhance family communication, reduce stress and promote family togetherness. Through the use of humor, families will be given the opportunity to not only laugh as a family but to take home valuable skills for family fun nights. Additional workshops are scheduled for May and June.
"When Sherry Hilber of Rx Laughter contacted us with the idea to use improvisational comedy to help our military families, I was immediately intrigued," said Catherine Mogil, an assistant clinical professor at the Nathanson Center, which is part of the Semel Institute for Neuroscience and Human Behavior at UCLA. "Humor is so important for emotional healing for military families who can get worn down by years of our country being at war. We hope this afternoon of fun and laughter will offer them a chance to reconnect as a family."
"There is a great need for our military families to have a place where they can feel free to express their emotions in an emotionally safe environment, learning how to use humor to see the positive side of a situation to help reduce conflict and stress," said Sherry Hilber, founder and president of Rx Laughter and a veteran primetime network comedy executive. "We hope this workshop is the first of many more uplifting sessions for military families in need."
For information on upcoming dates and to sign up, please Julie D’Amico at the UCLA Nathanson Family Resilience Center by phone at 310-267-0622 or by email at jdamico [a] mednet.ucla (p) edu.
Rx Laughter is a humor research, therapeutic and educational nonprofit charity that creates and implements projects that advance the emotional and physical health of children and adults who are battling serious illnesses and trauma.
The Second City Training Center founded over 50 years ago, is the world’s premier school of improvisational training for children and adults.
The UCLA Nathanson Family Resilience Center promotes family resilience through service programs, provider training and research.
Last job offers
- Arts - 18.12
Vizedirektorin / Vizedirektor Lehre
- Administration - 18.12
SNI Outreach Manager (f/m)
- Agronomy - 18.12
PhD position (m/f) in plant ecology
- Business - 17.12
Dozenten / Dozentin und Studiengangsleiter/in im Bereich Leadership und HR Development
- Medicine - 16.12
Lecturer / Senior Lecturer (Cytometry) PhD Position
- Literature - 15.12
Professeur-e assistant-e en littérature italienne moderne et contemporaine
- Life Sciences - 20.12
Tenure Track Assistant Professorship in Advanced Brain-Robot Interfaces
- Literature - 19.12
Chair of Spanish language and culture (1, 0 fte)
- Computer Science - 3.12
Universitätsprofessur für Informatik und deren Didaktik am Institut für Informatikdidaktik
- Mathematics - 3.12
Full Professor of Stochastic Processes at the Department of Statistics
- Computer Science - 19.12
Vertretungsprofessur für Theoretische Informatik
- Business - 19.12
- Life Sciences - 19.12
Assistant / Associate Professor in Ruminant Nutrition
- Medicine - 19.12
Professorship of Neurology
- Medicine - 20.12
General Internal Medicine - Assistant Professor WOT (AA9485)
- Medicine - 20.12
Cardiology - Assistant, Associate or Full Professor WOT (AA9502)