- Physics - Jul 29 Rogue wave theory to save ships »
- Social Sciences - Jul 28 Bruce Kidd: sprinter Dutee Chand’s historic win for right to compete "affirms women exactly as they are"
- Medicine - Jul 28 How stem cell research and regenerative medicine saved this man's life
- Pedagogy - Jul 28 'Redshirting' kids yields no advantage in higher education
- Physics - Jul 28 Physicists close in on world's most sensitive resonators
- Agronomy - Jul 28 More secondary schools serve healthier lunches
- Medicine - Jul 28 McGill gets $91.5 Mln in CIHR funding
- Life Sciences - Jul 28 Young Animal Welfare Scientist of the Year
- Mechanical Engineering - Jul 28 EPSRC rail consortium shows how to cut costs and reduce delays
- Agronomy - Jul 28 Chill- tolerant hybrid sugarcane also grows at lower temperatures
- Mechanical Engineering - Jul 28 CMU’s Software Engineering Institute Contract Renewed by Department of Defense for $1.73 Billion
- Computer Science - Jul 28 CMU’s Soccer- Playing Robots Score Fifth International RoboCup Win
- Life Sciences - Jul 28 Bristol undergraduates publish parasite research
- Medicine - Jul 28 A marked improvement in health and healthcare for Medicare patients
The first-ever book to offer an in-depth analysis of images and objects relating to the greatest sports show on earth is published this month by an art historian at the University of Bristol.
Every Olympic festival has its own exciting and memorable moments, many familiar to us through television images or the iconic photographs that celebrate them. But each Games also generates a wide variety of art works.
This book explores how poster artists, filmmakers, architects, designers, painters and sculptors have contributed to this unique global sporting event from the first staging of the modern Olympic Games in 1896 to the present day.
Beautifully illustrated with 116 plates, 40 in colour, Olympic Visions explores the way that visual culture has shaped our understanding of how the Games have evolved and responded - sometimes in highly controversial ways - to constantly changing social and political circumstances.
Each Olympiad reflects larger issues, including the struggle for gender and racial equality, the spectre of international terrorism, the impact of politics (from National Socialism to the Cold War), and controversies ranging from cheating and drug-taking, to corporate advertising.
By analysing the pictorial legacy of the Games, O’Mahony reveals how this array of visual material has contributed to a broader awareness of these issues and continues to shape the way the Games are viewed today.
Olympic Visions: Images of the Games through History is published by Reaktion Books, £22.
Mike O’Mahony is Senior Lecturer in the Department of History of Art at the University of Bristol. He is the author of Sport in the USSR: Physical Culture - Visual Culture (2006) and Sergei Eisenstein (2008), both published by Reaktion Books, and is co-editor of The Visual in Sport (Routledge, 2012).
Study shows Avastin has similar effect to Lucentis in treating most common cause of blindness in the developed world
8 May 2012
Last job offers
- Physics/Materials Science - 28.7
Faculty Position in Plasma Physics
- Civil Engineering - 28.7
Faculty Positions in Transportation Engineering and Transportation Systems
- Computer Science/Telecom - 24.7
4 Doctoral Student/Post-Doc Positions (Salary Scale 13 TV-L)
- Life Sciences - 22.7
Wissenschaftliche Assistenten und Assistentinnen in angewandter Forschung
- Pedagogy/Education Science - 21.7
Professeur-e ordinaire ou associé-e dans le domaine Intervention en situation scolaire
- Pedagogy/Education Science - 20.7
Projektleiter/in als Wissensch. Mitarbeiter/in (80−100 %) Arbeits- und Organisationspsychologie...
- Environmental Sciences - 28.7
Lecturer / Senior Lecturer / Associate Professor in Environmental Management
- Environmental Sciences - 27.7
Assistant Professor: Global Environmental Change (1, 0 FTE)
- Arts and Design - 15.7
Universitätsprofessorin / Universitätsprofessor für das Fach Musiktheater-Regie (BV gem. § 99 UG )
- Social Sciences - 13.7
Universitätsprofessorin / Universitätsprofessor für das Fach Instrumental- und Gesangspädagogik (BV gem....
- - 28.7
- - 28.7
- Microtechnics - 28.7
Associate Professor in Oceanic Engineering Science
- Mechanical Engineering - 28.7
Assistant Professor in Additive Manufacturing Operations Research
- Medicine/Pharmacology - 28.7
Asst/Assoc/Full Professor - Anesthesiology
- Literature/Linguistics - 28.7
Assistant Professor in Modern Chinese Languages