- Microtechnics - 17:01 University of Warwick and National Grid seek to expand their £1.5 million partnership
- Social Sciences - 17:01 Does Celtic art have links with Asia?
- Astronomy - 15:00 Destination Space Needs You: Astronaut Tim Peake calls on UK to join his crew
- Microtechnics - 15:00 Testing asteroid camera
- Business - 14:00 Debates around sex industry based on ’sexist stereotypes’, says report
- Business - 13:00 How leaky is your device?
- Medicine - 11:17 Ethnicity impacts perceptions of mental health among black communities
- Philosophy - 11:17 Collaborative research project to examine sources of happiness and personal fulfillment
- Microtechnics - 11:00 Porous material holds promise for prosthetics, robots
- Astronomy - Oct 7 ANU joins the nanospace race »
- Literature - Oct 7 ’Do what you love’ mantra makes us feel like failures
- Physics - Oct 6 Laser- wielding physicists seize control of atoms’ behavior
- Physics - Oct 6 3Q: The massive impact of neutrino research
- Pedagogy - Oct 6 Cornell among top 100 adoption- friendly workplaces
- Physics - Oct 6 Sussex physicists applaud Nobel Prize- winner and collaborator
- Business - Oct 6 Keeping the supply chain flowing
New network will promote 'SAVI' uses of technology
Imagine a Blue Jays game where fans, reporters and pundits are sharing their insight and commentary using a variety of media (videos, audio and pictures). Now, picture technology that realizes a surge of data traffic in one area and automatically allocates computing and network resources to the stadium and surrounding area to increase traffic, computing and storage capabilities, all the while ensuring emergency personnel continue to have their reliable.
This is the type of research that the new NSERC Strategic Network in Smart Applications on Virtual Infrastructure (SAVI), based at the University of Toronto, will undertake.
The Natural Sciences and Engineering Research Council (NSERC) awarded a five-year, $5 million grant to establish the network. It will be led by U of’T electrical and computer engineering professor Alberto Leon-Garcia. Its aim is to foster innovative application platforms, create new job opportunities in the computing and sectors and allow Canadians to share digital information quicker and easier.
Leon-Garcia and a team of 15 researchers at nine universities were awarded the grant to advance Canada’s position as an international leader in information technology. Five postdoctoral fellows each year and nearly 50 graduate students will support their efforts.
“We are thankful to NSERC for the support provided to develop this important research network,” said Cristina Amon,dean of the Faculty of Applied Science & Engineering. “Under the remarkable leadership of Professor Alberto Leon-Garcia, SAVI will provide the focal point for creating and expanding Canada’s virtual computing and networking infrastructure.”
The new network is also supported by nearly 20 industry and public sector partners, including IBM Canada, MTS Allstream, Telus, Ericsson Canada, Cisco and Juniper, which will provide $3.5-million over five years. Together they will foster growth in the sector by developing a skilled workforce, help Canadian companies grow and create made-in-Canada applications that will encourage businesses to adopt and adapt to the growing use of these platforms. SAVI has developed a unique approach to transfer research into practice with half of the network’s graduate students working on long-term projects while the other half focus on related, but shorter-term projects as interns in industry.
“[SAVI] will help us invest in Canadian projects that will create technological leadership that is invaluable, and strengthen the nation’s information and technology base,” said Leon-Garcia, who is also Canada Research Chair in Autonomic Service Architecture. Application platforms include the software and computing and network infrastructure that allow individuals to access applications and to share information and data through a range of devices, from smart phones, to portable computers and cameras. They also help governments and communities support participatory sensing, where individuals and communities can systematically collect and analyze data for use in discovery in areas such as health and wellness, education, or community-sustainable practices.
Current application platforms typically rely on data centres located far away from where they are most used. Leon-Garcia’s team is developing the notion of extended cloud computing that combine distant data centres with a smart edge network located closer to where they are used, reducing latencies when sharing and receiving information, and ensuring responsiveness in time-critical applications.
The aim is to build an extended cloud that will support bandwidth-rich and highly responsive applications for highly mobile users. For example, This type of technology will not only provide consumers with more capable apps but will also increase energy efficiency.
The SAVI Network will also develop a national test bed to support experimentation in future Internet protocols and architecture.
The network will also facilitate training opportunities for others in the field and increase graduate students’ interest in the network’s research. An annual design competition for fourth-year students will be launched and the network will introduce an internship program to serve as a bridge in the transfer of technology to industry.
Last job offers
- Medicine/Pharmacology - 7.10
Un-une responsable de la filière en soins infirmiers Taux d’activité : 100%
- Veterinary Science - 5.10
Amtstierärztin / Amtstierarzt als Abteilungsleitung
- Administration/Government - 5.10
Leitung des Bergischen Veterinär- und Lebensmittelüberwachungsamtes (m/w)
- Chemistry - 5.10
Dozentin / Dozent Chemie für Umweltingenieure (100 %)
- Pedagogy/Education Science - 2.10
Professoren / innen 100%
- Architecture - 2.10
Architekt/in, Ingenieur/in oder Naturwissenschaftler/in als wissenschaftliche/n Mitarbeiterin / Mitarbeiter...
- Life Sciences - 6.10
Full Professor / Associate Professor in biomolecular solution-state NMR spectroscopy (1, 0 fte)
- Business/Economics - 6.10
Associate professor in Data Science
- Arts and Design - 6.10
Universitätsprofessorin / Universitätsprofessor für das Fach Klavier und Klavierdidaktik (BV gem. § 98...
- Law/Forensics - 2.9
Universitätsprofessur für Smart Grids am Institut für Vernetzte und Eingebettete Systeme
- Pedagogy/Education Science - 6.10
Professur für, Fachdidaktik Geschichte und Sozialkunde, (W3)
- Literature/Linguistics - 6.10
- Administration/Government - 6.10
Academic Faculty Position in Public Policy
- Law/Forensics - 6.10
Academic Faculty Position in Law and Public Policy
- Microtechnics - 7.10
Mechanical Engineering - Assistant or Associate Professor (AA14294)
- Medicine/Pharmacology - 7.10
Palliative Care Faculty Position