- Medicine - 18:00 Intensive biofuel planting poses risk to human health
- Business - 14:00 Start- ups lose faith in London after just 12 months
- Medicine - 13:03 UCLA department of neurosurgery ranked No. 2 in research productivity
- Earth Sciences - 12:01 Chimps use clay to detox and as a mineral supplement
- Business - 11:01 Should Labour really be agonising over the Left Right divide?
- Medicine - 08:01 Novartis partners with Phase 4 Partners and institutional investors to help create Mereo BioPharma Group Ltd
- Business - 06:02 Secretary of State for Business announces investment boost for UK’s largest dynamic test facility
- Microtechnics - Jul 29 Making the new silicon
- Physics - Jul 29 Rogue wave theory to save ships »
- Social Sciences - Jul 28 Bruce Kidd: sprinter Dutee Chand’s historic win for right to compete "affirms women exactly as they are"
- Medicine - Jul 28 How stem cell research and regenerative medicine saved this man's life
- Pedagogy - Jul 28 'Redshirting' kids yields no advantage in higher education
- Physics - Jul 28 Physicists close in on world's most sensitive resonators
- Agronomy - Jul 28 More secondary schools serve healthier lunches
- Medicine - Jul 28 McGill gets $91.5 Mln in CIHR funding
- Physics - Jul 28 Researchers Observe Shortest Wavelength Plasmons Ever in Single Walled Nanotubes
Participants gearing up for Scav Hunt after record-setting year
Leah Rand won’t be making any 3-D zoetropes this year, but she’s still planning on exhaustion. Scav Hunt leaves no one untouched.
“I’m always amazed that though I’m not building a juggling robot or marching around the Administration Building recreating the Battle of Jericho, I’m still completely wiped out at the end of each day.”
Rand, a fourth-year in the College, is one of 15 active judges for the famed UChicago tradition, which last year set a Guinness World Record, thanks to the 924 people who created the world’s largest scavenger hunt.
Students, alumni, friends and relatives are gearing up for the master list of 300-odd items, which will be revealed at midnight May 9. What follows in the next four days is the kind of crazed, exuberant chaos that leads people to stay up all night figuring out how to build Trojan horse-style animals or how to get their hands on a Stradivarius instrument.
“Someone found a dealer on the North Side who was willing to participate,” Rand said of the successful Stradivarius mission. The renown of this UChicago tradition , which dates back to 1987, lends itself to helping Scavvies tick seemingly impossible items from the list.
“You know the guy who narrated pretty much every movie trailer ever?” asked Christian Kammerer , AB’03, MS’06, PhD’09. “Any time you heard ‘In a world ruled by fear,’ that guy? That was the late, great Don LaFontaine, and in 2007 he agreed to narrate the Hunt for any team that successfully sought him out.”
Kammerer has dutifully participated in Scav—four years as a student, and as a judge ever since—a total of 13 times. Although he now works as a paleontologist in Berlin, he won’t be missing his tenured seat at the judges’ table this year. Luckily, he’ll be flying to Chicago anyway—direct from the Brazilian jungle—to conduct research at the Field Museum.
“We come up with all these ridiculous concepts that we hope the participants will enjoy making and performing, and then get to see our dreams come to life,” he said. “It’s like a reverse Santa Claus, who has somehow convinced the children of the world to make their own toys this year."
Last job offers
- Physics/Materials Science - 28.7
Faculty Position in Plasma Physics
- Civil Engineering - 28.7
Faculty Positions in Transportation Engineering and Transportation Systems
- Computer Science/Telecom - 24.7
4 Doctoral Student/Post-Doc Positions (Salary Scale 13 TV-L)
- Life Sciences - 22.7
Wissenschaftliche Assistenten und Assistentinnen in angewandter Forschung
- Pedagogy/Education Science - 21.7
Professeur-e ordinaire ou associé-e dans le domaine Intervention en situation scolaire
- Pedagogy/Education Science - 20.7
Projektleiter/in als Wissensch. Mitarbeiter/in (80−100 %) Arbeits- und Organisationspsychologie...
- Environmental Sciences - 28.7
Lecturer / Senior Lecturer / Associate Professor in Environmental Management
- Environmental Sciences - 27.7
Assistant Professor: Global Environmental Change (1, 0 FTE)
- Arts and Design - 15.7
Universitätsprofessorin / Universitätsprofessor für das Fach Musiktheater-Regie (BV gem. § 99 UG )
- Social Sciences - 13.7
Universitätsprofessorin / Universitätsprofessor für das Fach Instrumental- und Gesangspädagogik (BV gem....
- - 28.7
- - 28.7
- Microtechnics - 28.7
Associate Professor in Oceanic Engineering Science
- Mechanical Engineering - 28.7
Assistant Professor in Additive Manufacturing Operations Research
- Medicine/Pharmacology - 29.7
Family Medicine - MEDEX - Assistant or Associate or Full Professor WOT (AA12561)
- Pedagogy/Education Science - 29.7
AGRI Research Chair in Gambling Policy