You can easily track the minute-by-minute price swings of a barrel of oil, but can you do the same for a megawatt of electricity? Today you can.
- Environmental Sciences - Oct 30 Does it help conservation to put a price on nature?
- Medicine - Oct 30 European salamanders and newts vulnerable to fungal disease from Asia
- Business - Oct 30 Bringing space research closer to home: a roundup from Imperial’s SpaceLab 2014
- Business - Oct 30 Q&A with U-M Ford School dean: Economy and midterm election campaigns
- Medicine - Oct 30 Edie & Lew Wasserman Building opens in Stein Plaza at UCLA
- Environmental Sciences - Oct 30 They know the drill: UW leads the league in boring through ice sheets
- Physics - Oct 30 Lord of the Microrings
- Social Sciences - Oct 30 From pro- anorexia sites: 'dangerous stigma escalation'
- Medicine - Oct 30 Newly found fungus is threat to salamanders worldwide
- Medicine - Oct 30 Treating Ebola patients in Liberia: A Stanford physician’s story
- Social Sciences - Oct 30 Halloween reflects re-enchantment with the world, Stanford anthropologist says
- History - Oct 30 Major new history project will investigate the 'Tudors of Central Europe'
- Arts - Oct 30 Cornell plaster casts: 'embraced, defaced and dethroned'
- Life Sciences - Oct 30 Penn Medicine: Study Identifies Potential Treatment Target for Cocaine Addiction
- Life Sciences - Oct 30 U of M seeks public input on aquatic invasive species research
- Medicine - Oct 30 The Coming of Age of Stem Cell Therapy
Penn Institute for Urban Research and Partners Launch Innovative Electricity Price Awareness Campaign
The Electricity Price Ticker Partnership, led by PJM Interconnection and Penn Institute for Urban Research, has unveiled its web-based Electricity Price Ticker that tracks the real time wholesale electricity price for the PECO area. The ticker is the centerpiece of the Partnership’s Electricity Price Awareness campaign, which aims to increase the public’s understanding of the connection between the wholesale price of electricity and their electricity bills to show that energy use patterns effect the price of electricity and to support national Smart Grid efforts.
In addition to PJM and Penn IUR, the partners are: University of Pennsylvania’s Facilities and Residential Services (FRES), the Greater Philadelphia Innovation Cluster for Energy Efficient Buildings (GPIC), Philadelphia Industrial Development Corporation (PIDC), Penn State’s GridSTAR, and PECO.
A visit to the partners’ websites reveals a colorful ticker displaying the price of a megawatt hour of electricity, updated every five minutes (all but PECO will display the ticker on their websites). The price can vary greatly during a single day and by season. A click on the ticker directs the users to the Partnership’s website ( www.PowerIsKnowledge.com) to learn about the electricity market: how electricity is produced, transmitted, and distributed to homes and businesses.
From the Partnership’s website, users can browse the individual partner’s sites for information about awareness programs and events. For example, at PJM’s site ( www.pjm.com/about-pjm/learning-center.aspx ), users will learn how electricity gets to homes; at Penn IUR’s site ( http://penniur.upenn.edu/ ), visitors can take an electricity literacy test; at UPenn’s Facilities and Real Estate Services’ site ( http://www.facilities.upenn.edu/sustain_emng.php ), users can find out how to conserve electricity on a university campus.
Electricity providers around the country are struggling to find a solution to the problem of an ever increasing electricity demand and one that is increasingly "peaky" - short periods of significantly higher-than-average peak demand. This issue has come into public focus in recent years with the frequent occurrence of rolling brownouts and, in some cases, blackouts of entire regions during summer months when demand is highest. PJM Interconnection, the regional transmission authority that coordinates the movement of wholesale electricity in all or part of 13 states and the District of Columbia is addressing this problem by forging this historic partnership. GPIC provided financial support for the ticker design.
Last job offers
- Social Sciences - 29.10
Professorship in Sociology or Anthropology of Tourism
- Mechanical Engineering - 29.10
Dozentin / Dozent Mechanik, Festigkeitslehre und Werkstofftechnik
- Mechanical Engineering - 29.10
Professorin / Professor Produktionstechnik und Automation
- Business - 28.10
Associate Professor at the GSEM (50%) and HES Professor at the HEG (50%) in Applied Economics
- Life Sciences - 27.10
Dozent/in Mess- und Automatisierungstechnik
- Business - 23.10
Wissenschaftlicher Referent für Wirtschaftspolitikberatung (m/w)
- Physics - 30.10
Professor of Cosmoparticle physics
- Administration - 29.10
Professor II /førsteamanuensis delstilling innen anvendt atomskalamodellering
- Business - 19.9
UniversitätsprofessorIn für die Stiftungsprofessur "Industrielle Energiesysteme"
- Social Sciences - 4.9
Juniorprofessur für Ethnologie mit Schwerpunkt, Politische Anthropologie (mit tenure track)
- Earth Sciences - 30.10
- Computer Science - 30.10
- Physics - 29.10
Lecturer (Assistant Professor)/Senior Lecturer (Associate Professor) in Physical Education
- Microtechnics - 27.10
Professor of Electronics and Systems Engineering
- Arts - 30.10
Assistant Professor - Painting / Drawing
- Mathematics - 30.10
Clinical Assistant / Associate Professor - Mathematics, Statistics, and Computer Science