- Environmental Sciences - Nov 30 How to reduce emissions and maintain prosperity
- Business - Nov 30 Lowering lot size benefits stock exchanges and investors
- Administration - Nov 30 Funding boost for infrastructure research at Cambridge
- Environmental Sciences - Nov 30 Worldwide glacier information system to go
- Administration - Nov 27 Canada Next: Prime Minister Justin Trudeau on the world stage
- Business - Nov 27 Six steps to failure: lessons from WorldCom and Nortel
- Physics - Nov 26 Sheffield to collaborate on £10 million national Manufacturing Hub
- Environmental Sciences - Nov 26 ANU experts discuss the Paris climate summit »
- Administration - Nov 25 Energy research at Nottingham set to accelerate following £180m investment
- Administration - Nov 25 Energy research at Birmingham set to accelerate following £180m investment
- Business - Nov 25 Scenery not just greenery has an impact on health
- Social Sciences - Nov 25 Consumer sentiment strong thanks to middle- and lower- income households
- Social Sciences - Nov 25 Cardiff among leading Welsh research showcased
- Business - Nov 24 DPI and education researchers team up on $5.2 million grant to reduce gaps in opportunity and achievement
- Business - Nov 24 Bigger smartphone screens can change a customer’s buying intentions
- Administration - Nov 24 UW-Madison remains highly ranked in research spending despite shrinking revenue streams
Penn Institute for Urban Research and Partners Launch Innovative Electricity Price Awareness Campaign
You can easily track the minute-by-minute price swings of a barrel of oil, but can you do the same for a megawatt of electricity? Today you can.
The Electricity Price Ticker Partnership, led by PJM Interconnection and Penn Institute for Urban Research, has unveiled its web-based Electricity Price Ticker that tracks the real time wholesale electricity price for the PECO area. The ticker is the centerpiece of the Partnership’s Electricity Price Awareness campaign, which aims to increase the public’s understanding of the connection between the wholesale price of electricity and their electricity bills to show that energy use patterns effect the price of electricity and to support national Smart Grid efforts.
In addition to PJM and Penn IUR, the partners are: University of Pennsylvania’s Facilities and Residential Services (FRES), the Greater Philadelphia Innovation Cluster for Energy Efficient Buildings (GPIC), Philadelphia Industrial Development Corporation (PIDC), Penn State’s GridSTAR, and PECO.
A visit to the partners’ websites reveals a colorful ticker displaying the price of a megawatt hour of electricity, updated every five minutes (all but PECO will display the ticker on their websites). The price can vary greatly during a single day and by season. A click on the ticker directs the users to the Partnership’s website ( www.PowerIsKnowledge.com) to learn about the electricity market: how electricity is produced, transmitted, and distributed to homes and businesses.
From the Partnership’s website, users can browse the individual partner’s sites for information about awareness programs and events. For example, at PJM’s site ( www.pjm.com/about-pjm/learning-center.aspx ), users will learn how electricity gets to homes; at Penn IUR’s site ( http://penniur.upenn.edu/ ), visitors can take an electricity literacy test; at UPenn’s Facilities and Real Estate Services’ site ( http://www.facilities.upenn.edu/sustain_emng.php ), users can find out how to conserve electricity on a university campus.
Electricity providers around the country are struggling to find a solution to the problem of an ever increasing electricity demand and one that is increasingly "peaky" - short periods of significantly higher-than-average peak demand. This issue has come into public focus in recent years with the frequent occurrence of rolling brownouts and, in some cases, blackouts of entire regions during summer months when demand is highest. PJM Interconnection, the regional transmission authority that coordinates the movement of wholesale electricity in all or part of 13 states and the District of Columbia is addressing this problem by forging this historic partnership. GPIC provided financial support for the ticker design.
Last job offers
- Business/Economics - 27.11
Doktoranden im Bereich Banking
- Medicine/Pharmacology - 27.11
Dozentin / Dozent für Medizinproduktentwicklung (80-100%)
- Earth Sciences - 26.11
Doktorandin / Doktoranden in der Fachgruppe Gebirgswald, Naturgefahren und GIS
- Physics/Materials Science - 25.11
Physiker Optikentwicklung Optoelektronische Messgeräte
- Medicine/Pharmacology - 25.11
Un poste de professeur-e HES « Santé communautaire / santé publique » Taux d’activité : 100%
- Life Sciences - 25.11
Assistant professor in Evolutionary Genetics
- Social Sciences - 30.11
Professor in Social Environmental Studies (PER 2015/401)
- Medicine/Pharmacology - 27.11
Assistant professor in Ergonomics, psycosocial work environment
- Mechanical Engineering - 26.11
- Mechanical Engineering - 24.11
- Chemistry - 30.11
Professur "Analytische Chemie - Chemoinformatik / Chemometrik"
- History/Archeology - 30.11
Juniorprofessur für Public History (JP 246)
- Medicine/Pharmacology - 30.11
Director of the Nihr Wessex Clahrc and Professor of Applied Health Services Research
- Law/Forensics - 30.11
Associate Professorship of Property Law
- Law/Forensics - 28.11
Assistant, Associate or Professor
- Law/Forensics - 28.11
Assistant, Associate Professor