- Agronomy - 15:02 More secondary schools serve healthier lunches
- Medicine - 15:02 McGill gets $91.5 Mln in CIHR funding
- Life Sciences - 15:01 Young Animal Welfare Scientist of the Year
- Mechanical Engineering - 14:01 EPSRC rail consortium shows how to cut costs and reduce delays
- Agronomy - 13:01 Chill- tolerant hybrid sugarcane also grows at lower temperatures
- Mechanical Engineering - 13:00 CMU’s Software Engineering Institute Contract Renewed by Department of Defense for $1.73 Billion
- Computer Science - 13:00 CMU’s Soccer- Playing Robots Score Fifth International RoboCup Win
- Life Sciences - 13:00 Bristol undergraduates publish parasite research
- Medicine - 12:02 A marked improvement in health and healthcare for Medicare patients
- Social Sciences - 11:22 Children are Flexible Social Learners, Study Finds
- Medicine - 11:03 U of’T to transform regenerative medicine thanks to historic $114- million federal grant
- Medicine - 11:01 Degree in sleep medicine aims to awaken understanding of overlooked condition
- Business - 11:00 Rebranded hotels rejuvenate their profits
- Medicine - 11:00 Researchers and pharma in innovative new consortium to develop and study early stage drugs
Schmidt and O’Neill elected to Royal Society
ANU Acting Vice-Chancellor Professor Lawrence Cram has congratulated two ANU academics who have been elected to the Royal Society of London, the longest standing scientific academy in the world.
Professor Brian Schmidt of the Research School of Astronomy and Astrophysics and Professor Hugh O’Neill, Associate Director of the Research School of Earth Sciences, are among 44 scientists from around the globe who have today been honoured by the Society for their contribution to science.
Professor Cram said: “Election to the Royal Society is the gold standard in the sciences and a testament to Hugh and Brian as well as to the dedicated and talented teams they work with. The ANU community celebrates and wishes both men our warmest congratulations on this wonderful achievement.”
Professor Schmidt was elected for his part in the discovery that the Universe is expanding at an accelerated rate. This work was also recognised with a Nobel Prize last year.
The Society elected Professor O’Neill for his contribution to the field of geology. Professor O’Neill’s work includes research into the chemical composition of the Earth and how the Earth differs from other possible planetary compositions, the origin of the Earth-Moon system, and how melting in the Earth’s mantle relates to global tectonics and Earth history.
Professor O’Neill said he considered such recognition to be a reflection on everyone at the Research School of Earth Sciences.
"This is really an honour for the School in general and how well I’ve been supported by my colleagues and the technical staff here over the years. I’ve been here for 25 years all up and I’ve been extraordinarily lucky to be involved in such a wonderful atmosphere that’s led to a lot of creative ideas."
Trevor McDougall, who worked in the ANU Research School of Earth Sciences in the 1980s, has also been named as one of the 1,350 Fellows of the Royal Society.
Last job offers
- Physics/Materials Science - 28.7
Faculty Position in Plasma Physics
- Civil Engineering - 28.7
Faculty Positions in Transportation Engineering and Transportation Systems
- Computer Science/Telecom - 24.7
4 Doctoral Student/Post-Doc Positions (Salary Scale 13 TV-L)
- Life Sciences - 22.7
Wissenschaftliche Assistenten und Assistentinnen in angewandter Forschung
- Pedagogy/Education Science - 21.7
Professeur-e ordinaire ou associé-e dans le domaine Intervention en situation scolaire
- Pedagogy/Education Science - 20.7
Projektleiter/in als Wissensch. Mitarbeiter/in (80−100 %) Arbeits- und Organisationspsychologie...
- Environmental Sciences - 27.7
Assistant Professor: Global Environmental Change (1, 0 FTE)
- Media Sciences - 27.7
Full professor in Communication and Consumer Behaviour
- Arts and Design - 15.7
Universitätsprofessorin / Universitätsprofessor für das Fach Musiktheater-Regie (BV gem. § 99 UG )
- Social Sciences - 13.7
Universitätsprofessorin / Universitätsprofessor für das Fach Instrumental- und Gesangspädagogik (BV gem....
- - 27.7
- Environmental Sciences - 27.7
Professur (W2) für Umweltkommunikation oder Umweltpsychologie
- Pedagogy/Education Science - 27.7
Assistant Professor in Quantitative Research Methods in Politics and/or International Relations (Teaching...
- Mathematics - 25.7
Assistant Professor in Mathematical Physics (Fixed-term)
- Medicine/Pharmacology - 28.7
Asst/Assoc/Full Professor - Anesthesiology
- Literature/Linguistics - 28.7
Assistant Professor in Modern Chinese Languages