- Environmental Sciences - Sep 2 Dwindling waterways challenge desert fish in warming world
- Physics - Sep 2 No Fukushima Radiation Found in Coastal Areas
- Chemistry - Sep 2 Attractive Kick- off of NCCR «Molecular System Engineering»
- Earth Sciences - Sep 2 New satellite maps out Napa Valley earthquake
- Medicine - Sep 2 Novartis to unveil new data from three key clinical trials at European Respiratory Society International Congress 2014
- Astronomy - Sep 1 Report finds positives in proposed LA minimum wage hike
- Medicine - Aug 30 Novartis’ LCZ696 cut cardiovascular deaths by 20%
- Administration - Aug 29 Twenty- five names added to University’s First World War roll of honour
- Life Sciences - Aug 29 Going to Extremes for Enzymes
- History - Aug 29 Anti- Semitism surge in Europe reflects loss of values, historical awareness, says Stanford scholar
- Philosophy - Aug 29 Critics pour cold water on the Ice Bucket Challenge: are they right?
- Life Sciences - Aug 28 Flapping baby birds give clues to origin of flight
- Careers - Aug 28 Comment: A stuttering recovery is the smokescreen for an attack on European employment rights
- Medicine - Aug 28 Arthritis patients failing to take expensive medication, according to research
- Life Sciences - Aug 27 A touching story: The ancient conversation between plants, fungi and bacteria
- Social Sciences - Aug 27 Cool Roofs in China Can Save Energy and Reduce Emissions
Stopping cell migration may help block fibrosis and the spread of cancer
Discoveries by a Yale-led team of scientists could lead the way for development of new therapies for treating fibrosis and tumor metastasis. The researchers have both uncovered a signaling pathway that promotes cell migration in certain forms of pulmonary fibrosis, a deadly lung disease, and developed a drug treatment that may block the cancer cell migration. The study appears in the Advance Online Publication of Nature Cell Biology.
Pulmonary fibrosis is the development of excessive connective tissue in the lungs. It can develop without a known cause, and produces permanent scar tissue in the lungs. There is no known cure or treatment to slow down its progress.
Cell migration is the biological process by which cells move around the body, often contributing to the development or spread of diseases such as fibrosis or metastatic cancer.
Fibroblast connective tissue cells and cancer cells migrate in a way that requires sustained activation of signaling pathways. But until now the regulation of these cellular functions has been poorly understood. The Yale team studied the workings of a stimulant of cell migration known as lysophosphatidic acid (LPA). They identified the chemical reactions that ultimately induce cell migration, but more importantly, discovered a way to block the pathway via inhibition of the proteins responsible for promoting the migration.
Senior author Dianqing (Dan) Wu, professor of pharmacology and vascular biology at Yale School of Medicine and member of Yale Cancer Center, explained, "Our ability to block the pathway provides a potential therapeutic target for treating pulmonary fibrosis, a very serious disease that lacks effective treatments, and other types of fibrosis. Because cancer cells, particularly melanoma and lung cancer cells containing activated BRAF genetic mutations, can use this signaling pathway to migrate, blocking this pathway could also prevent metastasis of these cancers."
Other authors are Xiaoqing Gan, Jiyong Wang and Chen Wang of Yale; Eeva Sommer and Dario Alessi of the University of Dundee; Tohru Kozasa of the University of Illinois at Chicago; Srinivasa Srinivasula of the National Cancer Institute; Stefan Offermanns of the Max-Planck-Institute for Heart and Lung Research; and Melvin I. Simon of the University of California at San Diego.
Last job offers
- Social Sciences - 2.9
PhD candidate SwiSCI SNF (100%)
- Social Sciences - 1.9
Zwei Dozierende mit Unterrichts- und Forschungstätigkeit
- Life Sciences - 29.8
Post-doc or research scientist for aerosol chemistry
- Business - 29.8
Wissenschaftliche/r MitarbeiterIn und DoktorandIn in Bank- und Finanzmanagement
- Life Sciences - 29.8
PhD position: Bioinformatic data integration: Assessing microbial biodiversity of agricultural ecosystems...
- Physics - 27.8
Lecturer Sustainable Energy Systems
- Administration - 2.9
Professor i rättsvetenskap
- Pedagogy - 2.9
Associate Professor of Teaching Foreign Languages
- Computer Science - 19.8
Professur Signal Processing (m/w)
- Social Sciences - 7.8
Kennung 422/14 - Assoziierte Professur am Zentrum für Gebärdensprache und Hörbehindertenkommunikation...
- - 2.9
Professur - Fak. V, Inst. fuer Luft- und Raumfahrt (02.09.2014)
- Medicine - 1.9
The University of Duisburg-Essen Medical Center is inviting applications for a professorship in Neurology...
- Administration - 1.9
Associate Professorship (or Professorship) in Public Policy (Global Economic Governance)
- Business - 27.8
Lecturer (Assistant Professor) in Finance
- Business - 2.9
Assistant, Associate, Full Professor - Accounting
- Social Sciences - 1.9
Professor of Sociology: Family Sociology