- Social Sciences - Jul 25 Only big changes can save Social Security Disability Insurance
- Medicine - Jul 25 Waters Corporation acquires iKnife technology
- Physics - Jul 25 Timely arrival of Pharao space clock
- Environmental Sciences - Jul 25 Invertebrate numbers nearly halve as human population doubles
- Administration - Jul 25 Less than 1% of UK public research funding spent on antibiotic research in past 5 years
- Earth Sciences - Jul 25 A word in your ear, but make it snappy
- Social Sciences - Jul 25 To be socially successful
- Life Sciences - Jul 24 First ever biological amplifier created by Imperial scientists
- Agronomy - Jul 24 Adults are more apt than kids to clean their plates
- Life Sciences - Jul 24 Atomic Structure of Key Muscle Component Revealed in Penn Study
- Medicine - Jul 24 Link Between Ritual Circumcision Procedure and Herpes Infection in Infants Examined by Penn Medicine Analysis
- Medicine - Jul 24 Incisionless Transcatheter Aortic Valve Replacement Surgery Associated with Shorter Hospital Stays
- Astronomy - Jul 24 Astronomers create precision map to calculate amount of dark matter in far off galaxy cluster
- Pedagogy - Jul 24 New York communities join to help teen parents
- Life Sciences - Jul 24 8.2% of our DNA is ’functional’
- Earth Sciences - Jul 24 Leaf- mining insects destroyed with the dinosaurs, others quickly appeared
Stopping cell migration may help block fibrosis and the spread of cancer
Discoveries by a Yale-led team of scientists could lead the way for development of new therapies for treating fibrosis and tumor metastasis. The researchers have both uncovered a signaling pathway that promotes cell migration in certain forms of pulmonary fibrosis, a deadly lung disease, and developed a drug treatment that may block the cancer cell migration. The study appears in the Advance Online Publication of Nature Cell Biology.
Pulmonary fibrosis is the development of excessive connective tissue in the lungs. It can develop without a known cause, and produces permanent scar tissue in the lungs. There is no known cure or treatment to slow down its progress.
Cell migration is the biological process by which cells move around the body, often contributing to the development or spread of diseases such as fibrosis or metastatic cancer.
Fibroblast connective tissue cells and cancer cells migrate in a way that requires sustained activation of signaling pathways. But until now the regulation of these cellular functions has been poorly understood. The Yale team studied the workings of a stimulant of cell migration known as lysophosphatidic acid (LPA). They identified the chemical reactions that ultimately induce cell migration, but more importantly, discovered a way to block the pathway via inhibition of the proteins responsible for promoting the migration.
Senior author Dianqing (Dan) Wu, professor of pharmacology and vascular biology at Yale School of Medicine and member of Yale Cancer Center, explained, "Our ability to block the pathway provides a potential therapeutic target for treating pulmonary fibrosis, a very serious disease that lacks effective treatments, and other types of fibrosis. Because cancer cells, particularly melanoma and lung cancer cells containing activated BRAF genetic mutations, can use this signaling pathway to migrate, blocking this pathway could also prevent metastasis of these cancers."
Other authors are Xiaoqing Gan, Jiyong Wang and Chen Wang of Yale; Eeva Sommer and Dario Alessi of the University of Dundee; Tohru Kozasa of the University of Illinois at Chicago; Srinivasa Srinivasula of the National Cancer Institute; Stefan Offermanns of the Max-Planck-Institute for Heart and Lung Research; and Melvin I. Simon of the University of California at San Diego.
Last job offers
- Medicine - 24.7
- Business - 23.7
Professor in Marketing
- Chemistry - 22.7
PhD Scholarship in Chemistry (Synthesis Polymeric Nanomaterials)
- Mathematics - 22.7
BereichsleiterIn Forschungsförderung 80-100%
- Social Sciences - 17.7
Wissensch. Mitarbeiter/in (80 %)
- Mechanical Engineering - 16.7
Senior Wissenschaftlerin / Senior Wissenschaftler Energieforschung
- Psychology - 25.7
Leonard p Ullmann Chair in Psychology
- Business - 25.7
Associate Professor in Accounting
- Social Sciences - 23.7
Universitätsprofessorin / Universitätsprofessor für das Fach Stilkunde und Aufführungspraxis (BV gem....
- Physics - 17.7
Stiftungsprofessur Schwerpunkt Photonik
- Microtechnics - 8.7
- Business - 12.6
Professorship in Economics of Energy Markets
- Chemistry - 25.7
Research Software Developer for the Herchel Smith Professor of Organic Chemistry
- Computer Science - 24.7
Database Manager / Bioinformatician
- Business - 25.7
Associate Professor/ Professor
- Medicine - 25.7
Assistant Professor- Pediatric Radiology