Once the match is achieved, the endowment will enable the conservation program to improve the student experience through more competitive fellowships and enhanced educational resources."There is a vital need to provide resources for the preservation of material culture in the face of modernization and global emerging challenges, this support will be instrumental in addressing this need by training the next generation of conservators educated in the best practices and methods in conservation," said Ioanna Kakoulli, associate professor in the Department of Material Science and Engineering who was recently appointed chair of the program The UCLA/Getty Conservation program is the youngest (out of five) conservation graduate degree-granting program in North America and the only one in the western United States.
- Medicine - Sep 23 Feature: Can we manipulate ageing?
- Environmental Sciences - Sep 23 Cornellians march to fight climate change in NYC
- Medicine - Sep 23 ESA spaceplane on its way
- Social Sciences - Sep 23 Women and children bear brunt of domestic violence, Stanford scholar says
- Social Sciences - Sep 23 Stanford scholars propose new strategy for North Korea
- Life Sciences - Sep 23 Dying brain cells cue new brain cells to grow in songbird
- Environmental Sciences - Sep 23 Interactive Map Reveals Rooftop Reflectance for Five California Cities
- Medicine - Sep 23 Trials of novel Ebola drugs to be fast- tracked in West Africa
- Medicine - Sep 23 Swift action needed to curb Ebola outbreak, study warns
- Earth Sciences - Sep 23 Drilling into an active earthquake fault in New Zealand
- Medicine - Sep 23 Airway muscle-on-a- chip mimics asthma
- Physics - Sep 23 Los Alamos researchers uncover new properties in nanocomposite oxide ceramics for reactor fuel, fast- ion conductors
- Administration - Sep 23 The incredible journey of Captain Dave Henson
- Social Sciences - Sep 23 Domestic abuse Bill ’doesn’t go far enough’
- Business - Sep 23 3 Questions: Calestous Juma on African development
- Environmental Sciences - Sep 23 Q&A: Science journalism and public engagement
UCLA/Getty conservation program receives $1M Mellon Foundation grant
Housed in the internationally renowned Cotsen Institute for Archaeology at UCLA and the Getty Villa, students and faculty of the program are able to work in state-of-the-art laboratories on authentic objects from local collections housed in local museums. Internships at top-tier museums and archaeological sites are also a major component of the program."The Mellon challenge grant and the matching gift support will enable the UCLA/Getty program to add significantly to the pipeline of conservation experts with the specialist knowledge and skills to preserve fragile artifacts and materials for decades to come," Kakoulli noted.
The Andrew W. Mellon Foundation is a private foundation that makes grants on a selective basis in the areas of higher education, art history, conservation, and museums, performing arts, and conservation and the environment. The Mellon Foundation has been a long-standing benefactor to UCLA, supporting, in addition to this gift, a wide array of university initiatives.
Last job offers
- Sport Sciences - 23.9
PROFESSEUR-E ASSOCIE-E EN SCIENCES SOCIALES Domaine de spécialisation : EDUCATION ET FORMATION PAR LE...
- Mechanical Engineering - 22.9
Dozentin / Dozent Mechanik, Festigkeitslehre und Werkstofftechnik
- Medicine - 19.9
Praxisverantwortliche / Praxisverantwortlichen für den Bachelorstudiengang Pflege
- Life Sciences - 19.9
Faculty Position in Biomaterials
- Business - 18.9
Associate Professor in Management and Director of Executive Education
- Computer Science - 17.9
Faculty Positions in Computer Science
- Life Sciences - 22.9
Assistant Professor in Applied Mathematics / Systems Biology at the Departement of Knowledge Engineering,...
- Business - 22.9
Full Professor (HL/Hoogleraar) in Media and Business (f/m, 1.0 fte)
- Business - 19.9
UniversitätsprofessorIn für die Stiftungsprofessur "Industrielle Energiesysteme"
- Literature - 17.9
Universitätsprofessur für Anglistische Sprachwissenschaft
- Business - 23.9
Professur, Betriebswirtschaftslehre/ Nachhaltige Finanzdienstleistungen, insbesondere Banken"
- Social Sciences - 23.9
Professur "Gesellschaft und Kultur des modernen China"
- Architecture - 23.9
Assistant Professors / Associate Professors in Architecture - two posts
- Social Sciences - 23.9
Associate Professorship (or Professorship) in Sociology (Quantitative Methods)
- Earth Sciences - 23.9
- Medicine - 23.9
Asst/Assoc / Professor