FULL-TIME ACADEMIC POSITION IN AGROECOLOGY AND CROP/SOIL MICROBIOLOGY FACULTY OF SCIENCES Brussels Bioengineering School (Ecole interfacultaire de Bioingénieurs)
Reference : 2021/A040 Application deadline: 20/02/2021 Start date: 01/10/2021 Job description . Agricultural Sciences - 16. Environmental Sciences. Sub Research .6 Soil Science - 16.2 Ecology Educational and scientific goals : ïƒ˜ Description of Position : The successful candidate will have expertise in agroecology and crop/soil microbiology to develop scientific . -On-fieldresearch activities are considered critical to better formulate questions and needs directly emerging from the field, . The successful candidate will have to lead research in this field with international collaborations and outcomes and secure funding for his/her activities.
Teaching activities will include courses focusing on agroecology and microbial ecology and the . Participation in the supervision of student projects, laboratory practicals and exercise sessions will also be expected.
The teaching load will grow progressively in the first . The successful candidate will be invited to apply for a grant from the European Research Council (ERC) and be expected to apply for sources of outside funding (FNRS, Europe, Regional funds, etc...) enabling him/her to develop their research. The ULB Research Department will assist with these applications. ïƒ˜ Description of Scientific and Pedagogical Objectives: The successful candidate-s teaching activities should complement the existing bioengineering teaching activities and will be expected to develop learning activities dealing with agroecology and crop/soil . Research activities should be of international level and should reinforce or favor synergies within ULB with existing academics (from ULB and partner universities at the national & international levels, as well as .
These collaborations should lead to the positioning at an international level of the Bioengineering School in . ïƒ˜ Field of Research: " Agroecology and crop/soil microbiology " The research should focus on understanding the interconnection between crop plants and the soil-root . This interdisciplinary approach could be targeted, for example, to develop expertise in the differentiation of crop varieties in terms of mycorrhizal selectivity, analyze crop disease suppression processes in soils under contrasting management systems through their microbiological differentiation, develop innovative indicators of soil health to support farmers in transition, or unravel organic nutrition of crops in association with their microbiome under contrasting agricultural input and field management strategies, including agroecological methods (intercropping, agroforestry, conservation agriculture, etc.). ïƒ˜ Teaching duties: New courses dedicated to the field of expertise of the successful candidate will be opened, at the Master level, on:
- soil ecology and crop health
- organization of field excursions and experiments hosted by farms in transition Upon appointment the successful candidate will be invited to participate actively in existing courses in the . Depending on his/her expertise, the successful candidate could be asked to participate in one or more of the following courses, for example:
BING-F-202 Agro-écosystèmes et systèmes agraires (Agroecosystems and farming systems) BING-F-301 Microbiologie générale et environnementale (General and environmental microbiology) BING-F-305 Agro-écologie (Agroecology) BIOL-F-309 Ecologie générale (General ecology) BING-F-430 Recherche et développement en agroécologie (Research and development in agroecology) BING-F-431 Innovations agroécologiques et production alimentaire (Agroecological innovations and food production)
Teaching duties may be reviewed periodically and are subject to modification over time.
Qualifications required : PhD Degree (with doctoral thesis) in -Sciencesor in -Agricultural Sciences and Biological Engineeringor . Skills required ï‚· Applicants should have at least 4 years of research experience at the time of their recruitment.
ï‚· Post-doctoral experience and an excellent scientific record are a plus. ï‚· Exchange periods outside of the applicantshome institution (during or after their PhD) will be taken into consideration when evaluating applications.
ï‚· Candidates will be expected to teach in English and French. If they are not proficient in one of these two languages at the time of appointment, a three-year period may be granted following their . To promote the development of innovative agroecological practices related to the analysis of phylogenetic and functional microbial diversity associated with crop plants, the Brussels Bioengineering School opens a position in
agroecology and crop/soil microbiology
. This position will strengthen existing research teams of the Brussels Bioengineering School. The candidate for the chair -Agroecology and crop/soil microbiologymust have expertise in techniques used to study the diversity and activity of microbial communities in relation to plant-soil interactions in . These encompass isolation/cultivation methods adapted to crop/soil microbes, activity measurements using fluorescent/radiolabeled/stable isotope tracers, molecular methods for investigating (phylo)genetic diversity, or microscopy techniques such as confocal laser scanning microscopy and/or in- situ fluorescent hybridization (FISH). Expertise in "-omics" techniques (metagenomics, metatranscriptomics, metaproteomics and/or metabolomics) will be an asset.
He/she must have an experience in multi-actor and interdisciplinary research where what is learned in laboratory is translated to . In this regard, field experience and fieldwork expertise will be considered as an advantage to guide researchers and stakeholders towards sustainable agricultural practices.
The candidate will work in close synergy with existing research teams in the Bioengineering School, the Faculty of Sciences and the Polytechnic School, particularly with research teams from the Agroecology and the Ecology of Aquatic Systems laboratories ï‚· Required Languages : ïƒ˜
Français : (niveau : good
Anglais : (niveau: good
ï‚· Required Research Experiences : ï‚· Agricultural Sciences (1)
- Soil Science (1.6) ï‚· Environmental Sciences (16)
- Ecology (16.2) ï‚· Career Stage : ïƒ˜ Experienced researcher (4
- 10 years including PhD) ïƒ˜ More experienced researcher (> 10 ans years including PhD))
- For more information, please contact Prof. Frédéric Debaste, Vice-President of the School of Bioengineering (phone:
32 2 650 6756
- e-mail : frederic.debasteulb.be ). Applications must be sent by e-mail to the rectorate of the Université libre de Bruxelles (rectriceulb.be ) and to the faculty deanship (aff.acad.sciencesulb.be ). They must include the following : ï‚· an application letter ï‚· a Curriculum vitae including a list of publications : if you want you can complete a standard form via our website at ?url=https%3A%2F%2Fwww.ulb.be%2Ffr%2Fdocuments-&module=jobs&id=1197832" target="_blank" rel="nofollow">https://www.ulb.be/fr/documents- officiels/completer-votre-cv-en-ligne. Once completed, it must be downloaded and attached to the . ï‚· a 7,000-character report (4 pages) presenting the applicant-s research activities and a research project, including how these will integrate into ULB-s research teams ï‚· a teaching dossier including a 7,000-character report (4 pages) on the applicant’s previous teaching activities and a teaching project for the first five years in this position; these must be relevant to the faculty and to the teaching profiles for the programmes to which the applicant is to contribute ï‚· a note on the applicant’s international achievements and projects (no more than 4 pages) ï‚· the names and e-mail addresses of five referees (respecting the gender balance) who may be contacted by those in charge of evaluating applications.
These referees should not have conflicts of interest . ï‚· any relevant documents showing 4 years of research experience The appointment to the academic staff of ULB is made at -Premier Assistantlevel, if the candidate has had . If the candidate has had a PhD for eight or more years, on 1 October of the year of appointment, then the appointment is made at -Chargé de Courslevel.
As of their appointment, members of academic staff are authorised to use the . Equal opportunities policy ULB’s personnel management policy is geared towards diversity and equal opportunities.
We recruit candidates on the basis of their skills, irrespective of age, gender, sexual orientation, origin, . Would you like to be provided with reasonable accommodation in the selection procedure because of a disability, disorder, or illness? Do not hesitate to contact Marie Botty, the Gender and Diversity resource person of the Human resources Department - SPES (marie.bottyulb.be) . Be assured of the confidentiality . More details on the ULB gender and diversity policy are available at ?url=https%3A%2F%2Fwww.ulb.be%2Fen%2Fabout-&module=jobs&id=1197832" target="_blank" rel="nofollow">https://www.ulb.be/en/about- ulb/gender-equality-at-ulb.
You will find all the regulations relating to academic careers on our site at ?url=http%3A%2F%2Fwww.ulb.ac.be%2Femploi%2Facademique.html&module=jobs&id=1197832" target="_blank" rel="nofollow">www.ulb.ac.be/emploi/academique.html.