Department: Department of Mathematics Regime Part-time Let’s shape the future - University of Antwerp
The University of Antwerp is a dynamic, forward-thinking, European university. We offer an innovative academic education to more than 20000 students, conduct pioneering scientific research and play an important service-providing role in society. We are one of the largest, most international and most innovative employers in the region. With more than 6000 employees from 100 different countries, we are helping to build tomorrow's world every day. Through top scientific research, we push back boundaries and set a course for the future – a future that you can help to shape.
The Department of Mathematics in the Faculty of Sciences has the following part-time (10%) vacancy: senior academic staff in the field of differential geometry Position
As a member of the Senior Academic Staff (Dutch: Zelfstandig Academisch Personeel
, ZAP), you will contribute to the University of Antwerp’s three core tasks: education, research and services. Your role may also include organisational and managerial aspects. Education
- You will provide high-quality education in differential geometry and related fields. The course ’’ Selected Topics in Differential Geometry’’ (6 credits, master mathematics) is part of the teaching load.
- You will play a role in developing activating, student-centred and competence-driven programme components and study programmes.
- You will supervise students and their Bachelor and Master dissertations.
- You will expand high-quality scientific research in differential geometry, differential equations, dynamical systems and/or mathematical physics.
- You will initiate new lines of research and coordinate the progress of scientific research projects. You will also participate in ongoing research programmes.
- You will acquire and manage national and international research funding.
- You will publish in international journals and specialist literature.
- You will develop an international scientific network.
- You will supervise PhD candidates and postdoctoral researchers.
Organisation and leadership
- You will play a role in the provision of both academic services and service to society, within the institution and externally.
- You will accept coordinating responsibilities in the areas of education, research and/or services and you will contribute to policy.
- Your leadership style will be motivating and coaching. You will be attentive to your employees’ growth and development processes.
What we offer
- You hold a PhD in Mathematics.
- Your research qualities are in line with the faculty and university research policies . You have established an excellent research portfolio.
- Your teaching competences are in line with the University of Antwerp’s educational vision . You are motivated to develop your teaching skills further through the professionalisation opportunities available.
- If you do not speak Dutch, the administrative language of the university, you should be willing to obtain a CEFR B2 level of proficiency in Dutch. As soon as you take on teaching duties as a programme component coordinator, you should be able to demonstrate a CEFR C1 level of proficiency in the language of instruction. The University of Antwerp supports international staff members through an integration trajectory and offers tailor-made language coaching in compliance with Flanders’ statutory language regulations .
- You demonstrate leadership potential and organisational skills.
- You act with attention to quality, integrity, creativity and cooperation.
Want to apply?
- We offer a part-time (10%) appointment as a member of the Senior Academic Staff for the period from January 1 until September 30, 2022. Following a positive evaluation, the appointment can be renewed. The level of your appointment (lecturer, senior lecturer, professor or full professor) is determined on the basis of your professional experience and academic qualifications.
- Your gross monthly salary is calculated according to the pay scales for Senior Academic Staff (ZAP) and calculated proportionally on the basis of your employment percentage.
- The planned start date is January 1, 2022.
- You will do most of your work at Campus Middelheim in a dynamic and stimulating working environment.
- Find out more about working at the University of Antwerp here and discover all the other benefits .
The University of Antwerp received the European Commission’s HR Excellence in Research Award for its HR policy. We are a sustainable, family-friendly organisation which invests in its employees’ growth. We encourage diversity and attach great importance to an inclusive working environment and equal opportunities, regardless of gender identity, disability, race, ethnicity, religion or belief, sexual orientation or age. We encourage people from diverse backgrounds and with diverse characteristics to apply.
- You can apply for this vacancy through the University of Antwerp’s online job application platform up to and including November 8, 2021 (by midnight Brussels time). Click on 'apply', complete the online application form and don’t forget to include the following documents: (1) your motivation letter, (2) the completed job application appendix for ZAP , (3) your academic CV.
- The selection committee will review all of the applications as soon as possible after the application deadline. As soon as a decision has been made, we will inform you about the next steps in the selection procedure.
- If you have any questions about the online application form, please check the frequently asked questions or send an email to jobsuantwerpen.be . If you have any questions about the job itself, please contact Prof. Sonja Hohloch ( sonja.hohlochuantwerpen.be ), deputy chairperson of the Department of Mathematics.
Excellent HR policy for researchers
They are necessary for the proper functioning of the website and can not be switched off. They are generally defined only as a result of actions you carry out and that enable you to make use of the services we offer (definition of your privacy preferences, connection, filling in forms, etc.). You can configure your browser so that these cookies are blocked or you are warned about these cookies, but then some parts of the site will no longer work.
They allow us to measure surfing patterns and determine which sections of our website were visited, and to measure habits and improve our services. They show us which pages are the most and the least popular and how visitors move around the site. If you do not allow these cookies, we do not know when you visited our site and we can not check their habits.
They enable improved functionality and customization of the site. They can be activated by us or by third parties whose services we have added to our pages. If you do not allow these cookies, some or all of the services may not work properly.
They can be set up by our advertising partners on our site to build a profile of your interests and show you relevant ads on other sites. They do not store personal information directly, but are based on the unique identification of your browser and device. If you do not allow these cookies, you will see less targeted ads.