Tenured senior academic staff Chemical process engineering applied to microfluidics, hydrodynamics and flow chemistry for (electro)chemical processes.
On this page you will find vacancies for Academic Staff. Only vacancies in English are shown. For a complete list of all vacancies currently open at the university, please consult the vacancy pages in Dutch .
Didn’t find what you were looking for? Save your search and create a job alert on the online application module to be automatically notified of interesting future job openings.More information can be found here .
Department: Chemistry/Biochemistry Regime Full-time Let’s shape the future - University of Antwerp
The University of Antwerp is a dynamic, forward-thinking, European university. We offer an innovative academic education to more than 20 000 students, conduct pioneering scientific research and play an important service-providing role in society. We are one of the largest, most international and most innovative employers in the region. With more than 6000 employees from 100 different countries, we are helping to build tomorrow's world every day. Through top scientific research, we push back boundaries and set a course for the future – a future that you can help to shape.
The Faculty of Applied Engineering has the following full-time vacancy: tenured senior academic staff in the field of chemical process engineering applied to microfluidics, hydrodynamics and flow chemistry for (electro)chemical processes. Position
You will contribute to the University of Antwerp’s three core tasks: education (40%), research (40%) and services (20%). Your role also includes organisational and managerial aspects. Education
- You will provide high-quality education in the Chemical Engineering department of the Faculty of Applied Engineering (in the Bachelor and Master programmes Engineering Technology ).
- Your teaching role will evolve along with the study programmes. The courses you will teach may include chemical process control, fluid mechanics and reactor technology.
- You will play a role in developing activating, student-centred and competence-driven programme components and study programmes.
- You will supervise students and their Bachelor and Master dissertations.
- You will expand high-quality scientific research education in the field of chemical process engineering applied to microfluidics, hydrodynamics and flow chemistry for (electro)chemical processes. By gaining insight into flow patterns and mass transfer of (electro)chemical processes you contribute to new developments of sustainable chemical technology. You have an eye for green chemistry, electrification of the chemical industry and production at micro scale. Your expertise and research contributions will lie in the field of redox flow batteries and electrolyser design.
- You will initiate new lines of research and coordinate the progress of scientific research projects. You will also participate in ongoing research programmes.
- Your research fits into the profile and vision of the research group ELCAT with a focus on electrochemical engineering techniques, process design and reactor design.
- You will acquire and manage national and international research funding.
- You will publish in international journals and specialist literature.
- You will develop an international scientific network.
- You will supervise PhD candidates and postdoctoral researchers.
- You valorise your research.
Organisation and leadership
- You will play a role in the provision of both academic services and service to society, within the institution and externally. You will participate in student recruitment, boards and committees, popular science communication, and so on.
- You will accept coordinating responsibilities in the areas of education, research and/or service provision and you will contribute to policy.
- Your leadership style will be motivating and coaching. You will be attentive to your employees’ growth and development processes.
What we offer
- You hold a PhD in Applied Engineering, (Bio)Engineering, Science or equivalent.
- You can demonstrate several years of postdoctoral experience (or equivalent).
- Your research qualities are in line with the faculty and university research policies .
- You have established an excellent research portfolio. Your publication output is of an international level and you have proven experience in setting up and carrying out research projects in your field. It is a plus if you can demonstrate that you can raise the necessary funds for your research.
- You are able to demonstrate that you can translate research results into business applications and communicate about this with companies.
- Your teaching competences are in line with the University of Antwerp’s educational vision . You are motivated to develop your teaching skills further through the professionalisation opportunities available.
- If you do not speak Dutch, the administrative language of the university, you should be willing to obtain a CEFR B2 level of proficiency in Dutch. As soon as you take on teaching duties as a programme component coordinator, you should be able to demonstrate a CEFR C1 level of proficiency in the language of instruction. The University of Antwerp supports international staff members through an integration trajectory and offers tailor-made language coaching in compliance with Flanders’ statutory language regulations .
- You demonstrate leadership potential and organisational skills.
- You act with attention to quality, integrity, creativity and cooperation.
Want to apply?
- We offer a full-time appointment as a member of the Senior Academic Staff (Dutch: Zelfstandig Academisch Personeel, ZAP). The level of your appointment (assistant professor, associate professor, professor or full professor) is determined on the basis of your professional experience and academic qualifications. Junior ZAP members are usually offered temporary appointment as a tenure track assistant professor for five years, which is then followed by permanent appointment as an associate professor. Appointment as an associate professor or higher leads to permanent appointment (tenure) after a maximum of three years. A favourable performance appraisal is always required for permanent appointment.
- Your gross monthly salary is calculated according to the pay scales for Senior Academic Staff.
- The planned start date is 1 October 2022 or as soon as possible after that date.
- You will do most of your work at Campus Groenenborger and Campus Drie Eiken in a dynamic and stimulating working environment.
- Find out more about working at the University of Antwerp here and discover all the other benefits .
The University of Antwerp received the European Commission’s HR Excellence in Research Award for its HR policy. We are a sustainable, family-friendly organisation which invests in its employees’ growth. We encourage diversity and attach great importance to an inclusive working environment and equal opportunities, regardless of gender identity, disability, race, ethnicity, religion or belief, sexual orientation or age. We encourage people from diverse backgrounds and with diverse characteristics to apply.
- You can apply for this vacancy through the University of Antwerp’s online job application platform up to and including 14 February 2022 (by midnight Brussels time). Click on 'apply', complete the online application form and don’t forget to include the following documents: (1) your motivation letter, (2) the completed job application appendix for ZAP , (3) your academic CV.
- The selection committee will review all of the applications as soon as possible after the application deadline. As soon as a decision has been made, we will inform you about the next steps in the selection procedure. Please note that the interviews and trial lessons will take place between 21 March and 31 March 2022.
- If you have any questions about the online application form, please check the frequently asked questions or send an email to jobsuantwerpen.be . If you have any questions about the job itself, please contact professor Tom Breugelmans ( elcatuantwerpen.be ).
Excellent HR policy for researchers