Junior postdoctoral researcher (with a subsidy) on the research topic of "Brain organoids for Parkinson’s Disease"
On this page you will find vacancies for Academic Staff. Only vacancies in English are shown. For a complete list of all vacancies currently open at the university, please consult the vacancy pages in Dutch .
Didn’t find what you were looking for? Save your search and create a job alert on the online application module to be automatically notified of interesting future job openings.More information can be found here .
Department: Vaccine & infectious disease institute Regime Full-time Let’s shape the future - University of Antwerp
The University of Antwerp is a dynamic, forward-thinking, European university. We offer an innovative academic education to more than 20 000 students, conduct pioneering scientific research and play an important service-providing role in society. We are one of the largest, most international and most innovative employers in the region. With more than 6000 employees from 100 different countries, we are helping to build tomorrow's world every day. Through top scientific research, we push back boundaries and set a course for the future – a future that you can help to shape.
The Faculty of Medicine and Health Sciences at the University of Antwerp is seeking to fill a full-time (100%)
vacancy in the Laboratory of Experimental Hematology
for a junior postdoctoral researcher (with a subsidy)
on the research topic of “Brain organoids for Parkinson’s Disease”. Position
- Hosting Research Group: You will be working as postdoctoral researcher in the NeuroInflammation and Regeneration Research Group of the Laboratory of Experimental Hematology under supervision of prof. Peter Ponsaerts.( ?url=https%3A%2F%2Fwww.uantwerpen.be%2Fen%2Fstaff%2Fpeter-ponsaerts%2F&module=jobs&id=2308363" target="_blank" rel="nofollow">?url=https%3A%2F%2Fwww.uantwerpen.be%2Fen%2Fstaff%2Fpeter-ponsaerts%2F&module=jobs&id=2308363" target="_blank" rel="nofollow">https://www.uantwerpen.be/en/staff/peter-ponsaerts/ )
- Research topic: Parkinson’s Disease (PD) is a neurodegenerative disease primarily linked to ageing affecting the psychomotor functions. An impairment in the activity of dopaminergic neurons (aggregation and intracellular accumulation of alfa-synuclein), is at the basis of this functional loss. Current therapies do not revert the PD progression but stand on the relief of the symptoms. Importantly, the efficacy of new therapeutic approaches is hampered by the lack of in vitro models that mimic the PD’s hallmarks. Moreover, the effectiveness of therapeutic approaches is hampered by the low ability of the drugs to cross the blood-brain barrier (BBB). This postdoctoral position is funded through the M-ERA.NET 2021 project RePark: “Refining the efficacy of systemic administration of bioactive molecules for Parkinson’s Disease”, in collaboration with the University of Minho in Portugal (Biomaterials, Biodegradables and Biomimetics Research Group, prof. Ricardo Pires) and the Tel Aviv University in Israel (The Gazit Lab affiliated to The Shmunis School of Biomedicine and Cancer Research, prof. Ehud Gazit). Within RePark you will develop an in vitro human iPSC-derived PD model that combines a mimic of the BBB, the brain’s extracellular matrix (ECM) and brain cells. With this system it will be possible to overcome the disadvantages of using animal models and to recapitulate in vitro the cellular characteristics of PD, as well as to assess the delivery and efficacy of new therapeutic drugs.
- Relevant expertise: we are looking for a junior postdoctoral researcher (max 3 years after PhD defense) with expertise in the generation of 2D and/or 3D human iPSC-derived neural culture models covering neurons, astrocytes and microglia. Additional expertise in (single cell) RNA-Seq analysis will be highly appreciated.
What we offer
- You hold a doctorate degree (PhD) in Biotechnology, Biochemistry, Biology, Pharmacy, (Bio)Medicine or an equivalent discipline.
- You have an outstanding publication record with at least three publications as first author.
- You did not reside, study or work in Belgium for more than 24 months in the 3 years immediately prior to the recruitment date(eligibility rule for postdoc with a subsidy).
- You qualify to apply for independent funding for a junior/senior postdoctoral fellowship by the Fund for Scientific Research. ( fwo.be/en/ )
- Your academic qualities comply with the requirements stipulated in the university’s policy .
- You are fluent in academic English (speaking and writing).
Want to apply?
- An appointment as a postdoctoral researcher for a period of three years (one year + two years after positive evaluation). We aim for a start in October 2022 or as soon as possible thereafter.
- Your monthly scholarship amount is calculated according to the scholarship amounts for postdoctoral scholarship holders on the pay scales for Contract Research Staff (dependent on your personal situation, you will receive a full time monthly net scholarship that varies between ¤ 2.173 and ¤ 3.468).
- You will receive ecocheques, Internet-connectivity allowance and a bicycle allowance or a full reimbursement of public transport costs for commuting.
- Find out more about working at the University of Antwerp here .
The University of Antwerp received the European Commission’s HR Excellence in Research Award for its HR policy. We are a sustainable, family-friendly organisation which invests in its employees’ growth. We encourage diversity and attach great importance to an inclusive working environment and equal opportunities, regardless of gender identity, disability, race, ethnicity, religion or belief, sexual orientation or age. We encourage people from diverse backgrounds and with diverse characteristics to apply.
- You can apply for this vacancy through the University of Antwerp's online job application platform up to July 14th 2022 (by midnight Brussels time). Click on the 'Apply' button, complete the online application form and be sure to include the following attachments in pdf format: (i) a motivation letter, (ii) your CV, (iii) a 2-page summary of your preceding PhD and post-doctoral research, (iv) two reference letters and (v) a copy your three first author publications.
- A pre-selection will be made from amongst the submitted applications, after which you may be invited for online or onsite interview (exact date will be discussed upon availability).
- If you have any questions about the online application form, please check the frequently asked questions or send an email to jobsuantwerpen.be . For questions about the profile and the description of duties, please contact prof. Peter Ponsaerts.( peter.ponsaertsuantwerpen.be ).
Excellent HR policy for researchers
They are necessary for the proper functioning of the website and can not be switched off. They are generally defined only as a result of actions you carry out and that enable you to make use of the services we offer (definition of your privacy preferences, connection, filling in forms, etc.). You can configure your browser so that these cookies are blocked or you are warned about these cookies, but then some parts of the site will no longer work.
They allow us to measure surfing patterns and determine which sections of our website were visited, and to measure habits and improve our services. They show us which pages are the most and the least popular and how visitors move around the site. If you do not allow these cookies, we do not know when you visited our site and we can not check their habits.
They enable improved functionality and customization of the site. They can be activated by us or by third parties whose services we have added to our pages. If you do not allow these cookies, some or all of the services may not work properly.
They can be set up by our advertising partners on our site to build a profile of your interests and show you relevant ads on other sites. They do not store personal information directly, but are based on the unique identification of your browser and device. If you do not allow these cookies, you will see less targeted ads.