Postdoctoral researcher International Relations/International Security
On this page you will find vacancies for Academic Staff. Only vacancies in English are shown. For a complete list of all vacancies currently open at the university, please consult the vacancy pages in Dutch .
Didn’t find what you were looking for? Save your search and create a job alert on the online application module to be automatically notified of interesting future job openings.More information can be found here .
Department: Department of Political Science Regime Full-time
Let’s shape the future - University of Antwerp
The University of Antwerp is a dynamic, forward-thinking university. We offer an innovative academic education to more than 20000 students, conduct pioneering scientific research and play an important service-providing role in society. We are one of the largest, most international and most innovative employers in the region. With more than 6000 employees from 100 different countries, we are helping to build tomorrow’s world every day. Through top scientific research, we push back boundaries and set a course for the future - a future that you can help to shape.
The Department of Political Science in the Faculty of Social Sciences is looking for a full-time (100%) postdoctoral researcher in the field of International Relations/International Security.
- You will conduct research in the project PLATFORM WARS, funded by a Research Foundation - Flanders (FWO) Odysseus grant. PLATFORM WARS explores the growing role of platform corporations in modern warfare, with a particular focus on how they shape contemporary thinking, practices, and regulation in warfare. Investigating how platform corporations interact with the military based on qualitative and fieldwork-based research in concrete settings of technology development across the Global North, PLATFORM WARS examines how these novel networks propel new ways of thinking and organizing the conduct of warfare. The project is led by Marijn Hoijtink , who will also act as the main supervisor, and embedded in the International Politics research group at the University of Antwerp.
- As a postdoctoral researcher within the PLATFORM WARS project, you will be responsible for the part of the project in which we study the ’infrastructural’ role of platform corporations within warfare, and the technologies, digital platforms, and cloud infrastructures they provide. You will conduct independent and collaborative field research at military/tech expos and other professional meetings and conduct interviews with developers and the military.
- You will help develop a mapping of platform corporations in warfare through a study of publicly available data on military contracts.
- You will collaborate with supervisors and peers in research and international scientific publications.
- You will assist in the supervision of PhD candidates and other team members.
- You will teach one elective course in the Master of International Relations and Diplomacy, and contribute to thesis supervision.
- You will participate in the provision of academic services: you will represent the research group and project both internally and externally at conferences, workshops, seminars and other scholarly activities, help coordinate the project, and contribute to science communication.
- You hold a PhD (or you will have obtained it by the time you start work) in International Relations, security studies, conflict studies or a related discipline. Candidates with a PhD in media studies or digital humanities are also invited to apply.
- You have a relevant publication record, showing your ability to publish in international scientific journals.
- You have relevant research experience in the field of security. Having knowledge of digital tools for data collection and analysis is an advantage.
- You are highly motivated to study the political and societal challenges related new technologies in warfare.
- You have a clear interest in collaborative, interdisciplinary research and joint research activities.
- You can speak and write fluently in English.
- Your research qualities are in line with the faculty and university research policies .
- Your teaching competences are in line with the University of Antwerp’s educational vision .
- You act with attention to quality, integrity, creativity and cooperation.
What we offer
- We offer a full-time contract as a postdoctoral researcher for a period of 4 years.
- Your gross monthly salary is calculated according to the pay scale for a principal research fellow in the Contract Research Staff category (Dutch: Bijzonder Academisch Personeel, BAP).
- You will receive ecocheques, Internet-connectivity allowance, a group insurance, an income protection insurance, and a bicycle allowance or a full reimbursement of public transport costs for commuting.
- The planned start date is 1 February 2024 or as soon as possible after that date.
- You will do most of your work at the ’Stadscampus’ in a dynamic and stimulating working environment.
- Find out more about working at the University of Antwerp here .
Want to apply?
The University of Antwerp received the European Commission’s HR Excellence in Research Award for its HR policy. We are a sustainable, family-friendly organisation which invests in its employees’ growth. We encourage diversity and attach great importance to an inclusive working environment and equal opportunities, regardless of gender identity, disability, race, ethnicity, religion or belief, sexual orientation or age. We encourage people from diverse backgrounds and with diverse characteristics to apply.
- You can apply for this vacancy through the University of Antwerp’s online job application platform up to and including 19 October 2023 (by midnight Brussels time). Click on ’apply’, complete the online application form and don’t forget to include the following document(s): (1) a motivation letter; and (2) your academic CV.
- The selection committee will review all of the applications as soon as possible after the application deadline. As soon as a decision has been made, we will inform you about the next steps in the selection procedure, which will include a research statement and interview. Please make a note of the following dates: Tuesday 14 November 2023 (interview).
- If you have any questions about the online application form, please check the frequently asked questions or send an email to jobsuantwerpen.be . If you have any questions about the job itself, please contact Dr. Marijn Hoijtink, Associate Professor in International Relations, marijn.hoijtinkuantwerpen.be .
Strictly necessary cookies
They are necessary for the proper functioning of the website and can not be switched off. They are generally defined only as a result of actions you carry out and that enable you to make use of the services we offer (definition of your privacy preferences, connection, filling in forms, etc.). You can configure your browser so that these cookies are blocked or you are warned about these cookies, but then some parts of the site will no longer work.
They allow us to measure surfing patterns and determine which sections of our website were visited, and to measure habits and improve our services. They show us which pages are the most and the least popular and how visitors move around the site. If you do not allow these cookies, we do not know when you visited our site and we can not check their habits.
They enable improved functionality and customization of the site. They can be activated by us or by third parties whose services we have added to our pages. If you do not allow these cookies, some or all of the services may not work properly.
They can be set up by our advertising partners on our site to build a profile of your interests and show you relevant ads on other sites. They do not store personal information directly, but are based on the unique identification of your browser and device. If you do not allow these cookies, you will see less targeted ads.