This year’s Staff Summer Celebration features three days of prizes, activities and entertainment. This photo was captured at a previous staff celebration in 2018. Photo credit: Erik Jepsen, UC San Diego
Creative new format of virtual event to celebrate staff
UC San Diego’s annual Staff Summer Celebration is an expression of gratitude for everything our staff does. This year, as millions of in-person events go online across the globe, Chancellor Pradeep K. Khosla and the Staff Association invite all of our staff to a Virtual Staff Summer Celebration like no other. This signature virtual event will applaud all staff members do for students, the university and each other in the midst of challenging and unprecedented times.
Virtual Staff Summer Celebration Registration
Online registration for the Virtual Staff Summer is now open. For complete details about the event, please visit the Staff Association website.
“We have been through a lot this year,” said Chancellor Pradeep K. Khosla. “Together, we faced a variety of obstacles and pressures to meet the needs of students, patients and our greater community. We rose to meet difficult circumstances, found existing solutions when possible, and innovated in broad areas nearly every step of the way. The speed and grace with which our staff was able to pivot complex education, healthcare and business procedures and practices has kept our academic enterprise moving forward during uncertain times. This year, especially, I celebrate our staff’s resilience, resolve and strength.”
This year’s Staff Summer Celebration will take place over three days, August 18-20, to accommodate all work schedules. A full roster of activities and live-streamed entertainment are planned, including a talent show, coffee talk with Staff Association leadership, virtual social hour, staff slideshow, competitive games and crafting sessions. In addition, staff commended by their colleagues in our annual Staff@Work survey will be recognized. Online registration for the event is open now.
“The Staff Summer Celebration is a time for staff to come together to celebrate their accomplishments and to connect with colleagues,” said Bryce Besser, Chair of UC San Diego Staff Association. “While we can’t gather in person this year, we have worked hard to create an event that helps build relationships and allows staff to celebrate together in new and unique ways. This new platform solidifies that UC San Diego’s community is not solely defined by a physical location. Instead, UC San Diego is within each and every one of us, no matter where we are.”
All three days will feature prizes, including Amazon Gift Cards, T-shirts, items from the Staff Association and vouchers to be used at select local North Torrey Pines Living and Learning Neighborhood dining partners. Here is a sampling of the fun, including the opportunity to engage and relax with Staff Association Affiliate Groups:
- On Thursday, August 20, check out the UC San Diego talent show, featuring six live performances from across the campus. Staff can sign up to perform through Friday, Aug. 14 .
- Annika Nelson, manager of the UC San Diego Craft Center, will lead a book binding crafting session on Wednesday, Aug. 19.
- Network and play games with the Black Staff Association, who will host one hour of games each day.
- The Staff Association coffee talk opens the celebration on Aug. 18, allowing staff to meet Executive Board members, learn about current initiatives, ask questions and share ideas.
- Enjoy a BYO lunch with the Chicanx/Latinx Staff Association on Thursday, Aug. 20, while meeting new people and learning how to get involved.
- The virtual social hour closes the celebration on Aug. 20, with networking and games, providing an opportunity to meet new people and see familiar faces.
- Check in with the Faculty and Staff Christian Fellowship for one hour of networking each day, to facilitate belonging and fellowship among staff.
- Play games with the Pan-Asian Staff Association, who will bring an hour of games and cultural learning to the celebration on Tuesday, August 18.
- Ask all of your questions related to sustainability as the Staff Sustainability Network hosts live Q&A sessions and shares past presentations on-demand.
- Make cards for veterans and play trivia games with the Veterans Staff Association, who will offer an activity each day to help build a renewed sense of community during this time of isolation.
For complete details about the Staff Summer Celebration for staff, visit the Staff Association website. Learn more about all eleven staff Affiliate Groups and their mission by visiting the Staff Affiliate Groups website.