English-language panel discussion series "Berlin Talks" presented by the international short-term study programs FU-BEST and FUBiS of Freie Universität Berlin, broadcast live on November 19, 2020 at 7 p.m. (Central European time)
No 216/2020 from Nov 17, 2020
The international programs FU-BEST (European Studies) and FUBiS (International Summer and Winter University) present an online panel discussion entitled "U.S. Elections 2020: Reflecting on the Domestic and International Dimensions and Implications." Five experts will discuss the national and international dimensions and implications of the U.S. elections. The discussion will take place in English. Audience participation is welcome via the online chat during the live-stream broadcast. The panel members for this edition of "Berlin Talks" will reflect on the political, economic, and societal background and consequences of the elections, as well as their implications for U.S. foreign and security policy.
- Dr. Dirk Verheyen (Moderator): Academic Director, FU-BEST
- Christian Lammert: John F. Kennedy Institute for North American Studies, Freie Universität Berlin; research emphasis on North American political systems
- Lora Anne Viola: John F. Kennedy Institute for North American Studies, Freie Universität Berlin; research emphasis on North American foreign and security policy
- Max Steinhardt : John F. Kennedy Institute for North American Studies, Freie Universität Berlin; research emphasis on the economy of North America
- Dr. Klaus Scharioth : retired German diplomat (Ambassador in Washington DC, 2006-2011)
- Katrin Bennhold : Berlin Bureau of The New York Times
Broadcast of the Panel Discussion
- Thursday, November 19, 2020, 7:00-8:30 p.m. CET
- Live stream via Webex Events: https://fu-berlin.webex.com/fu-berlin-en/onstage/g.php’MTID=e75f70bce239e73ae08c52282576eff74 (password: BjUeYrZS976);’ available later on the website www.fu-berlin.de/berlintalks as well as on the YouTube channels of FU-BEST and FUBiS , which are both organizing the event.
- The event will be held in English and will be broadcast live from the Academic Senate Hall of Freie Universität Berlin. Online viewers are invited to participate via the chat with questions and comments.
About Berlin Talks
This interactive and public online event series addresses social issues, discussed and examined from different perspectives by internationally recognized experts. It is organized by the international short-term study programs of Freie Universität Berlin, FU-BEST and FUBiS: www.fu-berlin.de/berlintalks
About Freie Universität Berlin European Studies Program (FU-BEST) and Freie Universität Berlin International Summer and Winter University (FUBiS)
These international short-term study programs include German language instruction as well as a large selection of courses in a variety of subjects, many taught in English. Participants can choose between a semester-long program or the summer/winter program. For more information visit www.fubest.org and www.fubis.org. Both programs have been awarded the Quality Improvement Program (QUIP) quality seal by the Forum on Education Abroad. In 2019, they welcomed a total of 934 students from over 40 countries to Freie Universität Berlin.
As a result of the Covid-19 pandemic, the programs also offer academic online programs awarding internationally recognized ECTS credits as well as free online public lecture series. The online offers from FU-BEST and FUBiS were recognized in 2020 by the initiative "Germany ’Land of Ideas’: Beyond Crisis."
- "Berlin Talks" panel discussion series: www.fu-berlin.de/berlintalks
- Videos from the free FU-BEST lecture series 2020: www.fubest.org/online YouTube
- Videos from the free FUBiS lecture series 2020: www.fubis.org/online YouTube
- FUBiS online courses, January 4-27, 2021: www.fubis.org/online/online_courses
- FU-BEST online courses, February 8 - May 14, 2021: www.fu-berlin.de/en/sites/fubest/online/online_courses