Alumni from around the world gathered in The University of Queensland’s Great Court this week for a ceremony celebrating their achievements and community contributions.
A diverse range of graduates attended the 2017 UQ Alumni Awards, which are announced at the annual Courting the Greats ceremony.
Awardees this year included humanitarians, business leaders, researchers and a journalist.
UQ Chancellor Peter N Varghese and Vice-Chancellor and President Professor Peter HÃ¸j attended the ceremony.
This year’s 2017 Vice-Chancellor’s Alumni Excellence Awards were presented to:
- a business leader and philanthropist who has driven change in the education and resource sectors through hard work and generosity.
- a highly decorated nurse and humanitarian aid worker who has provided emergency relief, health care and training in some of the world’s most volatile conflicts and crises.
- a multi award-winning investigative journalist whose contributions have included some of Australia’s most significant reportage.
- a food systems specialist and educator who runs a world-leading research centre tackling the world’s most profound global food system challenges.
- a researcher and academic who is pioneering collaborative approaches between surgeons and researchers to provide excellent outcomes for patients.
- an advocate for social justice and girls’ empowerment in her home country of Pakistan, through her work in the development sector.
(Emmanuel College 1964 - 1966) - a diplomat, human rights advocate and humanitarian who has had a profound impact on communities around the world through his work with the United Nations and the Australian Department of Foreign Affairs and Trade.
The UQ Alumnus of the Year and UQ Graduate of the Year Awards, created and supported by the Alumni Friends of The University of Queensland Inc, included:
UQ Alumnus of the Year
- Bachelor of Pharmacy (First Class Honours) 2016, Valedictorian, University medallist and former Co-Chair of the UQ Young Scholars Program.
The UQ Sportswoman and Sportsman of the Year Awards celebrate sporting excellence and contributions to University life.
Sportswoman of the Year: