- History - Feb 16 Time Machine in the running to become a FET Flagship
- Environment - Feb 15 Maximizing the environmental benefits of autonomous vehicles
- Mathematics - Feb 13 Neural networks everywhere
- Computer Science - Feb 9 Robots can go all the way to Mars, but they can’t pick up the groceries
- Computer Science - Feb 7 Crowd Workers, AI Make Conversational Agents Smarter
- Medicine - Feb 7 New drug discovery project tackles neglected tropical disease
- Innovation - Feb 6 Artificial intelligence is growing up fast: what’s next for thinking machines?
- Astronomy - Feb 5 How Elon Musk’s SpaceX will launch a Tesla into space
- Innovation - Feb 2 Preparing for the future: artificial intelligence and us
- Physics - Feb 2 Quantum ’hack’ to unleash computing power
- Innovation - Feb 1 Letter regarding the MIT Intelligence Quest
- Computer Science - Jan 31 New treatment offers hope for better stroke recovery
- Microtechnics - Jan 31 Robotic interiors
- Art - Jan 30 Artificial intelligence experts question if machines can ever be truly creative
- Computer Science - Jan 29 Big data project gets Â£3m funding boost
- Computer Science - Jan 29 Lancaster Data Science experts to tackle environment and health challenges
Over 80767302107136 pixels of Sentinel-2 data, combined in a fully automated process
An (almost) cloudless Sentinel-2 map of the world, crafted by EOX and made available for free.
Clearing up the weather
Endless sunshine, eternal summer - the Sentinel-2 cloudless layer combines over 80 trillion pixels collected during differing weather conditions between May 2016 and April 2017, and merges them into a sunny homogeneous mosaic, (almost) free from atmospheric impacts. Our thanks go to the European Commission and the European Space Agency for the free, full, and open Sentinel-2 data.
Small team, big results
Almost 250 Terabyte of Sentinel-2 data were crunched fully automated pixel by pixel using EOX homebrewn software combined by Joachim Ungar and Stephan MeiÃŸl with further Open Source tools. Supported by the processing power of Amazon Web Services and catalog services by Sinergise , our small team was able to craft this cloudless map of the world in a fast and inexpensive manner.
Follow Joachim Ungar Follow Stephan MeiÃŸl
Extracting cloudless pixels out of the Sentinel-2 archive and rendering natural looking colors is just an example of many possible use cases. On request, we easily deploy additional algorithms for your preferred application leveraging the multispectral nature of the Sentinel-2 sensor on a regional or global scale - get in touch with us for an offer.
Global mosaic announcement
Original available on AWS
Check out technical details in Joachim’s blog post
Featured at ESA’s eoPortal
On ESA’s Facebook page
Learn more about the Sentinel-2 mission
Free to use!
Sentinel-2 cloudless by EOX IT Services GmbH is licensed under a Creative Commons Attribution 4.0 International License.
Feel free to use the provided service endpoints ( WMTS or WMS ) directly in your application. You may also download the data either as rendered tiles from these services or as source GeoTIFFs from the AWS S3 bucket eox-s2maps in the eu-central-1 region. Please get in touch if you need anything else.
Whenever you use Sentinel-2 cloudless an attribution has to be provided. It shall read " Sentinel-2 cloudless - https://s2maps.eu by EOX IT Services GmbH (Contains modified Copernicus Sentinel data 2016 & 2017)" including the links as given here where possible.
Want to see your custom satellite map?
Need to scale your own algorithm?
Just want to send us your feedback?
Let us know your usage of Sentinel-2 cloudless to be included in the list above.
Last job offers
- Computer Science/Telecom - 7.2
Directeur / trice des systèmes d’information
- Business/Economics - 6.2
Wissensch. Mitarbeiter/in Business Information Systems (80−100 %)
- Life Sciences - 1.2
Medizinische Informatiker /Bioinformatiker /Naturwissenschaftler (m/w)
- Life Sciences - 1.2
Einstieg für Naturwissenschaftler / Biologen in die IT-Consulting Welt
- Administration/Government - 30.1
Wissenschaftliche Mitarbeiterin/ Wissenschaftlicher Mitarbeiter Gesundheitskompetenz
- Literature/Linguistics - 23.1
Research Associates (f/m) Natural Language Processing
- Psychology - 15.2
Research-oriented Post Doc with a PhD in Computer Sciences
- Microtechnics - 15.2
Assoc/Asst Professor Haptic Human-Robot Interaction (3ME18-13)