- Sport Sciences - Oct 11 Unexpected insight
- Business - Sep 29 U-M launches exercise and sport science initiative
- Sport Sciences - Sep 22 Greener grass for athletes as world- class synthetic fields open at UQ
- Life Sciences - Sep 15 Paralympic medal glory for Imperial’s Dave Henson
- Sport Sciences - Sep 15 Statement from Stanford athletics director on NCAA violations
- Life Sciences - Sep 15 Soccer and Science, a Winning Formula for Teammates
- Sport Sciences - Sep 13 ’The Game Changer’ documentary on accessibility pioneer Tim Nugent premieres Sept. 22 on BTN
- Computer Science - Aug 19 Analysis program contributes to Olympic victory
- Sport Sciences - Aug 19 Downs as well as the ups of a football club’s fortunes build fans’ loyalty
- Sport Sciences - Aug 12 Aesthetics over athletics when it comes to women in sport
- Sport Sciences - Aug 5 How well do you know your supplement?
- Sport Sciences - Aug 4 Q&A on the Olympics with Andrei Markovits: Why Rio needs the Olympics now more than ever
- Sport Sciences - Jul 28 England’s 1966 World Cup victory – giving female fans a voice
- Sport Sciences - Jul 5 What happens when sports rules go awry?
- Physics - Jul 4 Science could help search for the next Andy Murray
- Sport Sciences - Jun 13 The perfect football boot
Footballers must face heights of final
University researchers suggest that, with the final taking place at 1,753 metres above sea level, players will have to adapt to oxygen levels in the atmosphere almost 20 per cent less than at sea level.
There is 18 per cent less oxygen in every breath in Johannesburg than there is in London. The footballers could even be more affected than less sporty people because when they play their lungs are already working at capacity, so the reduced oxygen levels could have more of an effect
They then cross referenced these findings to altitude levels of football stadiums being used in the World Cup in South Africa - of which the ones in Johannesburg are the highest.
We want to draw attention to the enormous effects that high altitude has on the body. Every year lives are lost in the mountains because people don?t appreciate the dangers