- Arts - Jun 21 Creative industries urged to take 'everyday' creativity seriously
- Arts - Jun 19 Send in the strings: Violin sent to young Syrian musician
- History - Jun 15 Public art installation tells Oxford’s alternative stories
- Arts - Jun 15 Pianist found his path at Berkeley, returns to lead Ojai music fest
- Arts - Jun 14 Research into Spanish masterpiece ’Lady In A Fur Wrap’
- Arts - Jun 14 The Anderson Collection at Stanford University receives new gifts of art
- Arts - Jun 14 University of Chicago to renovate, reopen historic CTA Green Line station
- Arts - Jun 5 Newhaven Fort‚? s new musical role in the story of conscientious objectors
- Arts - May 30 Academic and alumnus team up to take hassle out of journal searches
- Life Sciences - May 28 Smiles, selfies and ice cream fill Graduation Weekend 2017
- Arts - May 25 Identity of Leonardo da Vinci’s mother revealed in new book
- Arts - May 19 Saving a renaissance masterpiece: Fitzwilliam Museum wins award for decade- long restoration
- Arts - May 18 Destructivist artist Raphael MontaŮez Ortiz to receive UCLA Medal
- History - May 18 Diaz’s study of art collective journeys into Chicano/a culture
- Computer Science - May 17 Cinematography on the fly
- Arts - May 16 Warwick welcomes Julie Christie for special evening of poetry and film
Indigenous singers forge new ground
Australia’s ranks of classically trained Indigenous singers will grow substantially this week, with the graduation of three Aboriginal men from the University of Melbourne’s Victorian College of the Arts.
Fellow student Ben McKeown will also graduate with a Master of Fine Art on Thursday, and become the VCA’s first Indigenous Valedictorian.
Deborah Cheetham, the head of the Wilin Centre for Indigenous Arts and Cultural Development at the VCA and Australia’s only professional Indigenous opera singer, said graduation was a time of celebration for the group.
"Don and Tiriki are the first Indigenous students to graduate in classical vocal music," she said.’
Mrs Cheetham said their achievements shine a light on Aboriginal excellence, providing positive role models for the next generation of Aboriginal tertiary students.
"Both men commenced their studies at the VCA following selection for the Wilin Centre’s 2008 Spring Intensive program, which included master classes, vocal coaching and ensemble learning.
"Indigenous Australians have long been under represented in the powerful world of opera.
"Developing a career in the opera is a long, slow process. It is an elite pursuit. But that isn’t reason enough to prevent Indigenous men and women from forging a professional career."
The talents of the three performers are already being celebrated:
* Tiriki Onus (Yorta Yorta nation, VIC) last year won the inaugural Harold Blair Opera Scholarship through the Melbourne Dame Nellie Melba Opera Trust, and will reprise the role of Bill in the Perth opening of Pecan Summer in September before travelling to Uganda for an artist-in-residence choral performance.’∑
* Don Bemrose (Gungarri nation, QLD) earned an Opera Australia School Company placement and has now been cast in the Opera Australia production of Magic Flute.
* Zoy Frangos (Wemba Wemba nation, NSW/VIC/SA) is currently performing in Sydney as the lead’s understudy (and an ensemble member) in the big-budget musical, An Officer And A Gentleman.
Visual artist Ben McKeown (Wirangu nation, SA) has had his work displayed in the National Gallery of Australia, State Library of Victoria and the United Nations Geneva Collection Geneva, among others.
Last job offers
- Business/Economics - 16.6
Malcolm Broomhead Chair in Finance
- Event - 19.6
Univer≠si≠tšt≠sas≠sis≠tent/in post doc NTT
- Event - 19.6
Dritt≠mit≠tel≠fi≠nan≠zierte/r Projekt≠mit≠ar≠beiter/in (prae doc oder post doc)
- Computer Science/Telecom - 21.6
Research Associate (Akad. Rštin/Rat auf Zeit) at the Institute for Geoinformatics
- Event - 21.6
Postdoctoral Research Assistant 
- Event - 20.6
Research Fellow (Jubilee Centre) 57260
- Event - 19.6
Postdoctoral Research Assistant in Nozzle Guide Vane Metal Effectiveness Analysis
- Literature/Linguistics - 13.6
College of Liberal Arts and Sciences: Department of Linguistics -Teaching Assistant Professor-English...