- Arts - Aug 24 Stanford’s Cantor Arts Center reveals re-envisioned galleries
- Arts - Aug 24 New instrument stand to help prevent injuries »
- Arts - Aug 23 Happy music sparks cooperation, teamwork
- Arts - Aug 18 Flamenco: what happens when a grassroots musical genre becomes a marker of culture
- Life Sciences - Aug 15 Don’t scan so close to me
- Arts - Aug 11 UCLA gymnasts are dynamic storytelling in motion
- Arts - Aug 10 Fowler Museum to debut touring exhibition of contemporary fiber art
- Arts - Aug 10 The Political and Religious Role of Musical Traditions
- Arts - Aug 5 Werner Herzog film follows internet from its birth at UCLA
- Arts - Aug 5 Opinion: Musical genres are out of date - but this new system explains why you might like both jazz and hip hop
- Arts - Jul 29 COLOUR: The art and science of illuminated manuscripts
- Arts - Jul 29 If the Rio Olympics had a soundtrack? Samba!
- Arts - Jul 20 Sally Munt appointed Fellow of the Royal Society of Arts
- Arts - Jul 19 Art’s historical love affair with decadent, unusual meals
- Arts - Jul 7 U-M athletes ready for the Rio Olympics
- Literature - Jul 4 Using theatre to change perceptions about ADHD
Indigenous singers forge new ground
Australia’s ranks of classically trained Indigenous singers will grow substantially this week, with the graduation of three Aboriginal men from the University of Melbourne’s Victorian College of the Arts.
Fellow student Ben McKeown will also graduate with a Master of Fine Art on Thursday, and become the VCA’s first Indigenous Valedictorian.
Deborah Cheetham, the head of the Wilin Centre for Indigenous Arts and Cultural Development at the VCA and Australia’s only professional Indigenous opera singer, said graduation was a time of celebration for the group.
"Don and Tiriki are the first Indigenous students to graduate in classical vocal music," she said.’
Mrs Cheetham said their achievements shine a light on Aboriginal excellence, providing positive role models for the next generation of Aboriginal tertiary students.
"Both men commenced their studies at the VCA following selection for the Wilin Centre’s 2008 Spring Intensive program, which included master classes, vocal coaching and ensemble learning.
"Indigenous Australians have long been under represented in the powerful world of opera.
"Developing a career in the opera is a long, slow process. It is an elite pursuit. But that isn’t reason enough to prevent Indigenous men and women from forging a professional career."
The talents of the three performers are already being celebrated:
* Tiriki Onus (Yorta Yorta nation, VIC) last year won the inaugural Harold Blair Opera Scholarship through the Melbourne Dame Nellie Melba Opera Trust, and will reprise the role of Bill in the Perth opening of Pecan Summer in September before travelling to Uganda for an artist-in-residence choral performance.’·
* Don Bemrose (Gungarri nation, QLD) earned an Opera Australia School Company placement and has now been cast in the Opera Australia production of Magic Flute.
* Zoy Frangos (Wemba Wemba nation, NSW/VIC/SA) is currently performing in Sydney as the lead’s understudy (and an ensemble member) in the big-budget musical, An Officer And A Gentleman.
Visual artist Ben McKeown (Wirangu nation, SA) has had his work displayed in the National Gallery of Australia, State Library of Victoria and the United Nations Geneva Collection Geneva, among others.
Last job offers
- Arts and Design - 5.8
Dozent / Dozentin Gitarre Profil Jazz
- Business/Economics - 26.8
Malcolm Broomhead Chair in Finance
- Philosophy - 22.8
The Elizabeth and James Tatoulis Chair in Classics
- Arts and Design - 11.5
Universitätsprofessorin / Universitätsprofessor für das Fach Klavier (BV gem. § 98 UG )
- Politics - 24.8
Juniorprofessur (W1) auf Zeit (3 Jahre) für Politikwissenschaft mit dem Schwerpunkt Internationale Organisationen...
- Pedagogy/Education Science - 18.8
Professur (W2) auf Zeit (6 Jahre / tenure track) für Fachdidaktik und Literaturwissenschaft der iberoromanischen...
- Physics/Materials Science - 26.8
Research Associate in construction and exploitation of the CHIPS
- Chemistry - 19.8
Research Fellow in Bioenergy Research
- Pedagogy/Education Science - 10.8
Assistant Professor - English
- Pedagogy/Education Science - 5.8
Assistant Professor - Visual Communication Design