- Environment - 08:30 "Asphalt has a major downside"
- Environment - Jul 20 "I initially wanted to be a weather forecaster on TV - until I realised you could study climate change."
- Environment - Jul 20 Farming the suburbs - why can’t we grow food wherever we want?
- Environment - Jul 20 Can the UK’s gas grid go green? New white paper explores options
- Life Sciences - Jul 20 Our ancestors were already warm- blooded just before the Permian- Triassic extinction event
- Environment - Jul 19 Innovative solutions to environmental challenges
- Environment - Jul 19 Young people play a key role in Lewes’s local nature reserve
- Life Sciences - Jul 19 Growing better trees faster
- Environment - Jul 18 Relationship with environment is central to achieving the Sustainable Development Goals
- Environment - Jul 18 Climate scientists create Caribbean drought atlas
- Life Sciences - Jul 18 New light on the secret life of badgers
- Life Sciences - Jul 18 A scientific stopwatch for the world’s largest animals
- Environment - Jul 18 Degree program uses satellite, drone technologies to solve environmental problems
- Environment - Jul 17 New climate science shows potential for higher sea- level rise
- Environment - Jul 17 European cooperation could provide more stable wind power
- Life Sciences - Jul 17 Why T. Rex and elephants lumber behind cheetahs
KTH Broadens Commitment to Sustainability Education
Reception and service at central level for international students after arrival at KTH.
For Master's students
For Exchange students
At the KTH Symposium, the director of the U.S. National Science Foundation explains how scientific co-operation with Sweden benefits American research.
AIMday Image is a forum for knowledge exchange between academic and industrial scientists in the field of image analysis
Welcome to KTH on March 7!
KTH’s focus on environmental issues -- underlined in 2011 with the appointment of a vice-president for sustainability -- is gaining momentum with new targeted investments in education. The university’s administration has approved SEK 6.5 million ($964,000) for courses in environment and sustainable development studies.
“Our surveys show that younger engineers feel that they lack the right tools to work with environmental and sustainability issues,” says Göran Finnveden, Vice President of KTH with responsibility for sustainability since last year. Now those views are leading KTH to expand its environmental education efforts.
The strategy calls for a dual approach, on one hand offering education programs that focus specifically on environment and sustainability — such as the Energy and Environment engineering program — while on the other hand integrating those fields into all training programs. Other Swedish universities are making progress on the second part of the strategy, Finnveden says, but they haven’t come very far on the first.
The administration says that this year’s expanded investment in sustainability is a sign that last year’s approach was judged a success.
“The Energy and Environment Program is working out very well, says Finnveden. “The number of applicants is high, and both students and instructors are committed.”
The latest round of funding will be focussed primarily in six of KTH’s ten schools, and the offering is intended to be permanent.
“We’re making a long-term commitment to environment and sustainable development,” says KTH President Peter Gudmundson.
He’s backed by Vice Dean Per Berglund, responsible for undergraduate studies at KTH: “The goal is to integrate environment and sustainable development over the long run into all training programs,” he says.
An assessment of how well environmental and sustainability topics are being included in the programs will be conducted this spring, and the action plans will continue to evolve based on the results.
By Peter Larsson
Last job offers
- Administration/Government - 4.7
Projektleiter/in Risiko- und Projektmanagement
- Business/Economics - 21.6
Tenure Track Assistant Professor or Full Professor in Innovation Management
- Environment - 19.7
Postdoctoral Fellow in Biogeography / Biodiversity
- History/Archeology - 17.7
Lektorat i Kunsthistorie /Associate professorship in Art History
- Life Sciences - 17.7
Postdoctoral or Postgraduate Research Associate (40 Hours per Week)
- Earth Sciences - 13.7
- Administration/Government - 20.7
Full Professorship (W3) in Manufacturing Technology with focus on Cutting Technologies
- Mechanical Engineering - 20.7
Full Professorship (W3) Product Development and Mechanical Engineering Design