- Environment - Feb 24 Which reefs are the most important to save?
- Environment - Feb 23 The unsung hero of science: Assessment
- Chemistry - Feb 23 Polymer additive could revolutionize plastics recycling
- Environment - Feb 23 UQ coral reef expert on ABC’s Australian Story
- Environment - Feb 22 Large- scale experiment on the rural Olympic Peninsula to test innovations in forest management
- Environment - Feb 22 UW’s Kristin Laidre awarded Pew marine fellowship to study effects of climate change, subsistence hunting on polar bears
- Environment - Feb 22 Widely accepted vision for agriculture may be inaccurate, misleading
- Business - Feb 22 Reduction of energy consumption and CO2 emissions: promotion or steering?
- Environment - Feb 22 Simple rule predicts when an ice age ends
- Environment - Feb 22 Solar panels get a face- lift with custom designs
- Environment - Feb 21 Winners, losers among fish when landscape undergoes change
- Environment - Feb 21 Study to focus on pollution potential of oil and gas wastewater spread on roads
- Environment - Feb 21 Watch: Electric shocks make dried herbs taste better
- Environment - Feb 21 Legal marijuana sales creating escalating damage to the environment
- Environment - Feb 21 Selenium deficiency promoted by climate change
- Environment - Feb 20 Those who help each other can invade harsher environments
KTH Broadens Commitment to Sustainability Education
Reception and service at central level for international students after arrival at KTH.
For Master's students
For Exchange students
At the KTH Symposium, the director of the U.S. National Science Foundation explains how scientific co-operation with Sweden benefits American research.
AIMday Image is a forum for knowledge exchange between academic and industrial scientists in the field of image analysis
Welcome to KTH on March 7!
KTH’s focus on environmental issues -- underlined in 2011 with the appointment of a vice-president for sustainability -- is gaining momentum with new targeted investments in education. The university’s administration has approved SEK 6.5 million ($964,000) for courses in environment and sustainable development studies.
“Our surveys show that younger engineers feel that they lack the right tools to work with environmental and sustainability issues,” says Göran Finnveden, Vice President of KTH with responsibility for sustainability since last year. Now those views are leading KTH to expand its environmental education efforts.
The strategy calls for a dual approach, on one hand offering education programs that focus specifically on environment and sustainability — such as the Energy and Environment engineering program — while on the other hand integrating those fields into all training programs. Other Swedish universities are making progress on the second part of the strategy, Finnveden says, but they haven’t come very far on the first.
The administration says that this year’s expanded investment in sustainability is a sign that last year’s approach was judged a success.
“The Energy and Environment Program is working out very well, says Finnveden. “The number of applicants is high, and both students and instructors are committed.”
The latest round of funding will be focussed primarily in six of KTH’s ten schools, and the offering is intended to be permanent.
“We’re making a long-term commitment to environment and sustainable development,” says KTH President Peter Gudmundson.
He’s backed by Vice Dean Per Berglund, responsible for undergraduate studies at KTH: “The goal is to integrate environment and sustainable development over the long run into all training programs,” he says.
An assessment of how well environmental and sustainability topics are being included in the programs will be conducted this spring, and the action plans will continue to evolve based on the results.
By Peter Larsson
Last job offers
- Physics/Materials Science - 17.2
Grant Coach / Supporter 80-100%
- Administration/Government - 14.2
Wissenschaftliche Mitarbeiterin / Wissenschaftlichen Mitarbeiter 40 %
- Environment - 9.2
Leiter/in der Forschungsgruppe Vegetationsökologie
- Administration/Government - 9.2
- Administration/Government - 8.2
Professorin / Professor für IT Forensics (60-100%)
- Administration/Government - 8.2
Professorin / Professor für Computer Network Security (60-100%)
- History/Archeology - 23.2
Associate professorship in European History c. 1500-1750
- History/Archeology - 22.2
Two to four associate professorships in History