- Environment - Apr 24 Clouds’ response to pollution clarified with new climate analysis
- Environment - Apr 24 New research clarifies how climate change influences severe weather
- Environment - Apr 24 Scientists test links between extreme weather and climate change
- Environment - Apr 24 Nile faces greater variability
- Environment - Apr 21 Best ways to remove greenhouse gases to be investigated with new £2m grant
- Environment - Apr 21 Earth day: Imperial event brings together experts to tackle air pollution
- Environment - Apr 21 Greenhouse gas removal in the land sector – addressing the gaps
- Environment - Apr 21 Read up on climate
- Astronomy - Apr 21 Call for a sustainable future in space
- Environment - Apr 21 EU project launches ’2.4m competition to create ethical and sustainable wearable technologies and smart textiles
- Environment - Apr 21 A better way to predict environmental impacts of agricultural production
- Earth Sciences - Apr 20 Opinion: Worthless mining waste could suck CO? out of the atmosphere and reverse emissions
- History - Apr 20 Digital app brings to life one of Scotland’s key prehistoric settlement sites
- Environment - Apr 20 #EarthOptimism: Recovering species must be celebrated or we risk reversing progress
- Environment - Apr 19 Oxford Martin School Director appointed to lead UN Development Programme
- Environment - Apr 19 Marine conservation with the help of citizen scientists
KTH Broadens Commitment to Sustainability Education
Reception and service at central level for international students after arrival at KTH.
For Master's students
For Exchange students
At the KTH Symposium, the director of the U.S. National Science Foundation explains how scientific co-operation with Sweden benefits American research.
AIMday Image is a forum for knowledge exchange between academic and industrial scientists in the field of image analysis
Welcome to KTH on March 7!
KTH’s focus on environmental issues -- underlined in 2011 with the appointment of a vice-president for sustainability -- is gaining momentum with new targeted investments in education. The university’s administration has approved SEK 6.5 million ($964,000) for courses in environment and sustainable development studies.
“Our surveys show that younger engineers feel that they lack the right tools to work with environmental and sustainability issues,” says Göran Finnveden, Vice President of KTH with responsibility for sustainability since last year. Now those views are leading KTH to expand its environmental education efforts.
The strategy calls for a dual approach, on one hand offering education programs that focus specifically on environment and sustainability — such as the Energy and Environment engineering program — while on the other hand integrating those fields into all training programs. Other Swedish universities are making progress on the second part of the strategy, Finnveden says, but they haven’t come very far on the first.
The administration says that this year’s expanded investment in sustainability is a sign that last year’s approach was judged a success.
“The Energy and Environment Program is working out very well, says Finnveden. “The number of applicants is high, and both students and instructors are committed.”
The latest round of funding will be focussed primarily in six of KTH’s ten schools, and the offering is intended to be permanent.
“We’re making a long-term commitment to environment and sustainable development,” says KTH President Peter Gudmundson.
He’s backed by Vice Dean Per Berglund, responsible for undergraduate studies at KTH: “The goal is to integrate environment and sustainable development over the long run into all training programs,” he says.
An assessment of how well environmental and sustainability topics are being included in the programs will be conducted this spring, and the action plans will continue to evolve based on the results.
By Peter Larsson
Last job offers
- Pedagogy/Education Science - 6.4
Professeur-e HES, responsable de la mission Ra&D du domaine santé (80%)
- Environment - 21.3
Leiter/in der Forschungsgruppe Vegetationsökologie
- Life Sciences - 24.4
Associate Professor of Macroecology of Species Interaction Network (211-0500)
- Environment - 24.4
Postdoctoral position in an interdisciplinary project
- Politics - 12.4
University Assistant (post doc)
- Environment - 11.4
Postdoctoral or Postgraduate Research Associate (40 hours per week)
- Business/Economics - 24.4
Universitätsprofessur W2 (Stiftungsprofessur)
- Environment - 18.4
Postdoc Position ’Non-target screening and data evaluation’