- Computer Science - Oct 24 AI Predicts Human Rights Trial Outcomes, According to Penn, UCL, Sheffield Study
- Administration - Oct 21 Combating cybercrime when there’s plenty of phish in the sea
- Medicine - Oct 20 National Academy of Medicine Elects Two New Members From Penn
- Business - Oct 20 Four years later, what effect has expanded video gambling had on Illinois?
- Law - Oct 19 The back story of the NY Times attorney and U of I grad whose letter went viral
- Administration - Oct 18 Researchers work with EC on anti- trafficking
- Law - Oct 18 Change sex education to combat the effects of porn, say researchers
- Politics - Oct 17 Thailand mourns its king and heads into the unknown
- Law - Oct 17 Genocide of Rohingya in Myanmar may be entering new and deadly phase
- Law - Oct 13 The UK Constitution is ill equipped to cope with Brexit, says leading constitutional expert
- Law - Oct 11 EU to benefit most from Article 50 TEU uncertainty
- Medicine - Oct 6 Penn Sociologist Links Unstable, Unpredictable Schedules to Health Problems
- Law - Oct 4 Research offers best practices for criminal investigations of police shootings
- Law - Sep 29 Phil C. Neal, former Law School dean, 1919- 2016
- Law - Sep 28 ’Grant immigrants the right to vote’, say researchers
- Life Sciences - Sep 27 Separating the sheep from the goats: when is an assistance animal? a pet?
Law Prof. Nate Persily to Oversee Connecticut Redistricting Process
State Legislature Failed to Reach Agreement; State Supreme Court Has New Deadline of Feb. 15
Media : Public Affairs, 212-854-2650 or publicaffairs [a] law.columbia (p) edu
New York, Jan. 5, 2012— Nathaniel Persily , Charles Keller Beekman Professor of Law and Professor of Political Science at Columbia Law School , has been named special master for redistricting by the Connecticut State Supreme Court.
Persily, the director of the Center for Law and Politics at the Law School, is an expert on election law and a frequent practitioner and media commentator in the area. He will oversee the redrawing of Connecticut’s current district map, which was drawn in 2001. A commission in the state legislature was previously responsible for the redistricting, but failed to reach an agreement before its Dec. 21 deadline.
Persily has served as a court-appointed redistricting expert in Georgia, Maryland, and New York. He is the author of “ When Judges Carve Democracies: A Primer on Court-Drawn Redistricting Plans ,” an essay which presents guidelines for courts that undertake to draw their own redistricting plans. As part of his work for Connecticut, he has created a website, DrawCongress.org , where users can see redistricting plans around the country.
The Connecticut State Supreme Court will file a final redistricting plan to Connecticut’s secretary of state no later than Feb. 15, as is constitutionally mandated.
Columbia Law School, founded in 1858, stands at the forefront of legal education and of the law in a global society. Columbia Law School combines traditional strengths in corporate law and financial regulation, international and comparative law, property, contracts, constitutional law, and administrative law with pioneering work in intellectual property, digital technology, tax law and policy, national security, sexuality and gender, and environmental law.
Visit us: www.law.columbia.edu
Follow us on Twitter: www.twitter.com/columbialaw
Last job offers
- Social Sciences - 25.10
Postdoctoral Researcher to join the Engaging Vulnerability research program
- Medicine/Pharmacology - 24.10
Clinical Scientist in Clinical Gastroenterology
- Business/Economics - 31.8
Professur für Finanzwirtschaft
- Administration/Government - 31.8
Six (6) ZIF Marie Curie 5-year Research Fellowships, and, four (4) Zukunftskolleg Research Fellowships,...
- Administration/Government - 25.10
Assistenz der Professurleitung
- Law/Forensics - 18.10
Professur für Bürgerliches Recht’ Zivilprozess- und Insolvenzrecht’ Europäisches und Internationales...
- Law/Forensics - 9.9
Droit de la Santé - CR - Chargé de recherche
- Law/Forensics - 4.8
Enseignant-Chercheur niveau Professeur en CDI de droit public, dans le domaine de l’automatique...