- Arts - Jul 20 Sally Munt appointed Fellow of the Royal Society of Arts
- Arts - Jul 19 Art’s historical love affair with decadent, unusual meals
- Arts - Jul 8 UCLA psychiatrist composes opera to tell hope- filled story about schizophrenia
- Arts - Jul 7 U-M athletes ready for the Rio Olympics
- Literature - Jul 4 Using theatre to change perceptions about ADHD
- Arts - Jul 4 The Montreux Jazz Heritage Lab2 to relive the Montreux Jazz Festival
- Arts - Jul 1 CMU Sings "The Star- Spangled Banner"
- Arts - Jun 30 National Anthem expert debunks famous myths about ’The Star- Spangled Banner’
- Arts - Jun 29 Neuroscientists probe link between doof doof, dopamine and cravings
- Arts - Jun 23 Top tips for festival goers from Nottingham hearing experts
- Physics - Jun 21 Vibrating qualities of spiders’ silk exploited in prototype violin
- Arts - Jun 20 An inconvenient vision
- Arts - Jun 17 L.A.- area artists shine in Hammer’s major summer show
- Media - Jun 16 The current and future premises of the Malmö Art Academy
- Arts - Jun 15 Pain and pleasure of sad music
- Arts - Jun 10 Oxford scholars recognised in Queen’s Birthday Honours
Melbourne degrees top Victorian applications
16 January 2012
The University of Melbourne has the most popular degrees offered by Victorian universities, as measured by first preference applications through the Victorian tertiary Admissions Centre (VTAC).
Melbourne’s Arts and Science degrees are first and second respectively - totaling 4898 applications - and Melbourne has five of the 10 most sought degrees in the state.
VTAC data shows first preference applications for Melbourne’s degrees have jumped by 21 percent overall from last year, the largest increase in Victoria.
There has also been a 24 percent increase in applications through the Access Melbourne program for disadvantaged students, including large increases for those from rural areas and low socio-economic backgrounds.
The University has made 6183 first-round offers, which is 49 more than last year.
The Deputy Vice-Chancellor (Global Engagement), Professor Sue Elliott, said the demand reflected the growing awareness of the new programs at Melbourne and their attractiveness to students from all backgrounds.
Professor Elliott said it had also contributed to a rise in the Australian Tertiary Admission Ranking (ATAR) for all degrees, a 24 percent increase in interstate offers and 21 percent more Access Melbourne offers.
She said the new Chancellor’s Scholars’ Program for very high achieving students - offered for the first time this year - had proven extremely popular, with Melbourne making more than 90 offers to students with an ATAR of 99.9 or above.
Science had the biggest increase, making 80 more offers than last year and recording a 5-point rise in the ATAR (from 85.05 to 90.15).
"This course, along with Biomedicine, has been particularly popular for Access Melbourne students from rural or low socio economic backgrounds," Professor Elliott said.
"The Science degree is the gateway to 46 graduate and professional accreditation study options - including the Doctor of Medicine, the Juris Doctor, the Master of Engineering and Masters degrees in areas including Arts, Environment and Information Technology - as well as numerous research and professional development courses. So it’s particularly pleasing to see its value recognised by prospective students."
She said publishing guaranteed ATARs in advance for Access Melbourne categories had been well received by students and schools and had contributed to large numbers of offers for students in these categories.
Professor Elliott said Melbourne’s attraction to international students had also continued to grow despite a significant national downturn, with the University making 40 more offers to that group through VTAC than last year.
Last job offers
- Arts and Design - 20.5
Full Professor Arts in Society (1.0 fte)
- Arts and Design - 11.5
Universitätsprofessorin / Universitätsprofessor für das Fach Klavier (BV gem. § 98 UG )
- Arts and Design - 13.7
Professur für Kunsthistorische Provenienzforschung
- Arts and Design - 13.7
Alfried Krupp von Bohlen und Halbach-Professur für Kunstgeschichte der Moderne und der Gegenwart (19.-21....
- Arts and Design - 22.6
- Arts and Design - 25.4
Lecturer or Assistant Professor