- Arts - Oct 16 Sounding out women for a career in the audio industry
- Arts - Oct 12 Mozart’s last opera ignites the magical voices of future opera stars
- Arts - Oct 11 Rare Robert Burns collection in Braille presented to University of Glasgow
- Business - Oct 4 How we adapt to digital disruption
- Medicine - Oct 3 For Katherine Malensek, art is a calling and a family affair
- Arts - Sep 28 A National production: Casey Reas offers inside view of videos for top alt- rock band
- Arts - Sep 26 Allerton Music Barn Festival to feature music of Dizzy Gillespie, contemporary Broadway show
- Astronomy - Sep 26 MoonArk To Be Unveiled at Thrival Festival
- Arts - Sep 21 Stanford scholar highlights craft, thinking in soul and dance music
- Arts - Sep 15 UCL ranked in world’s top five universities for arts and humanities
- Arts - Sep 14 Unique 1937 steel guitar to be demonstrated, displayed at ELLNORA guitar festival
- Administration - Sep 12 UW2020: WARF Discovery Initiative seeking Round 4 proposals
- Arts - Sep 8 The music of arrhythmia
- Arts - Sep 6 Music strikes a chord with great writers
- Arts - Sep 6 New app could transform music teaching in schools
- Arts - Aug 31 I asked artists to create films using real sounds from space - this is what they came up with
Melbourne degrees top Victorian applications
16 January 2012
The University of Melbourne has the most popular degrees offered by Victorian universities, as measured by first preference applications through the Victorian tertiary Admissions Centre (VTAC).
Melbourne’s Arts and Science degrees are first and second respectively - totaling 4898 applications - and Melbourne has five of the 10 most sought degrees in the state.
VTAC data shows first preference applications for Melbourne’s degrees have jumped by 21 percent overall from last year, the largest increase in Victoria.
There has also been a 24 percent increase in applications through the Access Melbourne program for disadvantaged students, including large increases for those from rural areas and low socio-economic backgrounds.
The University has made 6183 first-round offers, which is 49 more than last year.
The Deputy Vice-Chancellor (Global Engagement), Professor Sue Elliott, said the demand reflected the growing awareness of the new programs at Melbourne and their attractiveness to students from all backgrounds.
Professor Elliott said it had also contributed to a rise in the Australian Tertiary Admission Ranking (ATAR) for all degrees, a 24 percent increase in interstate offers and 21 percent more Access Melbourne offers.
She said the new Chancellor’s Scholars’ Program for very high achieving students - offered for the first time this year - had proven extremely popular, with Melbourne making more than 90 offers to students with an ATAR of 99.9 or above.
Science had the biggest increase, making 80 more offers than last year and recording a 5-point rise in the ATAR (from 85.05 to 90.15).
"This course, along with Biomedicine, has been particularly popular for Access Melbourne students from rural or low socio economic backgrounds," Professor Elliott said.
"The Science degree is the gateway to 46 graduate and professional accreditation study options - including the Doctor of Medicine, the Juris Doctor, the Master of Engineering and Masters degrees in areas including Arts, Environment and Information Technology - as well as numerous research and professional development courses. So it’s particularly pleasing to see its value recognised by prospective students."
She said publishing guaranteed ATARs in advance for Access Melbourne categories had been well received by students and schools and had contributed to large numbers of offers for students in these categories.
Professor Elliott said Melbourne’s attraction to international students had also continued to grow despite a significant national downturn, with the University making 40 more offers to that group through VTAC than last year.
Last job offers
- Arts and Design - 17.10
Associate Professor in Translation Studies (chinese)
- Arts and Design - 17.10
Lecturer/ Senior Lecturer in Translation Studies (chinese)
- Arts and Design - 3.10
UniversitätsassistentIn - Postdoc
- Arts and Design - 23.8
Professur für Kunstdidaktik
- Arts and Design - 11.9
Professur für Transkulturelle Musikwissenschaft und Historische Anthropologie der Musik zum nächstmöglichen...
- Arts and Design - 18.9
Research Associate (Fixed Term)
- Arts and Design - 15.9
Assistant Professor in Music
- Arts and Design - 16.10
College of Fine and Applied Arts: Clinical Assistant Professor and Assistant Director of Athletic Bands...