- History - Dec 8 Is this the face of Robert the Bruce?
- History - Dec 5 Govan’s Viking history comes to life for a group of local P4 pupils
- History - Dec 2 Cutting welfare to protect the economy ignores lessons of history, researchers claim
- History - Nov 23 Analyzing the future U.S.- Russia relationship
- History - Nov 23 National accreditation for ‘transformative’ archive centre
- History - Nov 22 QMUL academic unearths Britain’s first audiobook
- History - Nov 22 Fifty years of the Archives of Contemporary History
- History - Nov 21 Handy Gazetteer captures changing face of Cumbria
- Environment - Nov 18 Q&A: UW’s Harry Stern discusses historical maps, the Northwest Passage and the future of Arctic Ocean shipping
- History - Nov 18 Australia’s oldest ornament found in kimberley region
- History - Nov 17 Penn State archaeologists use IT to help uncover the past
- Life Sciences - Nov 16 What can Pokémon Go teach the world of conservation?
- History - Nov 16 Tibet’s exiled Muslims show intricacies of culture, identity for refugees
- History - Nov 16 Before race mattered: what archives tell us about early encounters in the French colonies
- History - Nov 15 Racial bias negligible in test to predict future crimes
UCLA/Getty conservation program receives $1M Mellon Foundation grant
Once the match is achieved, the endowment will enable the conservation program to improve the student experience through more competitive fellowships and enhanced educational resources."There is a vital need to provide resources for the preservation of material culture in the face of modernization and global emerging challenges, this support will be instrumental in addressing this need by training the next generation of conservators educated in the best practices and methods in conservation," said Ioanna Kakoulli, associate professor in the Department of Material Science and Engineering who was recently appointed chair of the program The UCLA/Getty Conservation program is the youngest (out of five) conservation graduate degree-granting program in North America and the only one in the western United States. Established as a partnership between UCLA and the Getty Conservation Institute (GCI) at the J. Paul Getty Trust, it is the sole program focusing on the conservation of archaeological and ethnographic materials. In addition to Kakoulli, it is staffed by David A. Scott, Professor in the Department of Art History and Ellen Pearlstein, Associate Professor in the Department of Information Studies.
Housed in the internationally renowned Cotsen Institute for Archaeology at UCLA and the Getty Villa, students and faculty of the program are able to work in state-of-the-art laboratories on authentic objects from local collections housed in local museums. Internships at top-tier museums and archaeological sites are also a major component of the program."The Mellon challenge grant and the matching gift support will enable the UCLA/Getty program to add significantly to the pipeline of conservation experts with the specialist knowledge and skills to preserve fragile artifacts and materials for decades to come," Kakoulli noted.
The Andrew W. Mellon Foundation is a private foundation that makes grants on a selective basis in the areas of higher education, art history, conservation, and museums, performing arts, and conservation and the environment. The Mellon Foundation has been a long-standing benefactor to UCLA, supporting, in addition to this gift, a wide array of university initiatives.
Last job offers
- History/Archeology - 6.12
Associate Professor in American history
- History/Archeology - 1.12
Assistant Professor in the History of International Relations (1.0 FTE)
- History/Archeology - 7.12
Universitätsprofessur für Historische Dimensionierung von Alltagskulturen
- History/Archeology - 15.11
University Assistant (post doc)
- History/Archeology - 9.12
- History/Archeology - 8.12
Professorship in Modern History with a specific focus on the 19th and 20th centuries
- History/Archeology - 29.11
Associate Professorship (or Professorship) in Iberian History (European and Extra-European, 1450-1800)...
- History/Archeology - 21.11
Tutorial Fellowship in History, in association with an Associate Professorship or Professorship of European...