Belgium won 32 medals at the European Company Sports Games in Salzburg. Half of this is due to the Ghent University delegation.
The European Company Sports Games 2019 took place from 26 to 30 June in Salzburg. The Austrians provided excellently organized games with a modern infrastructure. The 22nd edition of the ECSG also became a very hot edition with temperatures around 30 degrees.
Medals in swimming, athletics, cycling and chess
The hot weather has not prevented our country from winning 32 medals. Half of this comes from the Ghent University delegation with 18 participants. They bring home 16 medals, of which seven are gold, six are silver and three are bronze.
- Big winner was Iarre Lafort. He won gold seven times in seven different swimming numbers. Iarre was also in 2018 Belgian swimming champion 50m backstroke.
- Zeger Hens won silver twice in athletics (5000m and in the final City Run over 10 km).
- Stefaan Broekaert and Natan T’Joens each won once silver and once bronze in cycling (on the road and time trial).
- Ria Coppejans won silver in the high jump and bronze in a 100m backstroke.
- Geert Vanderstricht finally won silver in the chess competition.
Other Ghent University participants were deserving but fell just outside the podium.
Next year World Company Sports Games
The next confrontation are the third World Company Sports Games. These will take place in Athens from 17 to 21 June 2020 . Most disciplines take place at the 2004 Olympic site. The opening ceremony will take place in the historic stadium of the first modern Olympic Games of 1896. Not to be missed!