The Technical University of Munich (TUM) will open a library without books to celebrate "The Long Night of Munich Museums" event on the 14th of October: 10,000 examples from 5000 of the world’s types of wood will be exhibited in the Xylothek to help people identify different species of trees. The second station at the TUM is the Architecture Museum in the Pinakothek der Moderne Museum. The current exhibition examines what goes into the planning of major temporary events and structures like the Oktoberfest, the Burning Man Festival or refugee camps.
The Architecture Museum in the Pinakothek der Moderne Museum.
The Long Night of Munich Museums offers the opportunity to examine answers to a question: how permanent should city planning be? Events like the world’s largest pilgrimage festival in India or the Burning Man Festival in the USA host and provide catering for thousands of people for a short period of time. Against the background of global migration, a visit to "Does Performance Matter? Ephemeral Urbanism" seems more important than ever.
- Address: Pinakothek der Moderne, Barer StraĆe 40
- Shuttletour 90 (Center) and 93 (Schwabing), Pinakotheken stop
- Website: https://www.pinakothek.de/ausstellungen/does-permanence-matter-ephemeral-urbanism
Xylothek - Munich Wood Research at the TUM
The Xylothek of Wood Research invites you to experience the world’s variety of wood species and their uses. 10,000 examples from around the world serve as reference models for the identification of tree species and contribute, for example, to the implementation of international agreements for the conservation of protected tree species. The historical collections from the 16th century provide an insight into the beginnings of systematic botanical collections.
- Address: Xylothek, Winzererstr. 45
- Shuttletour 93 (Schwabing), Herzogstr. stop
- Website: http://www.hfm.tum.de/index.php’id=hfmtumde
Tickets and further information:
- Hours of the "Long Night:" 7pm to 2am
- Website of "The Long Night of Munich Museums"
- Tickets: 15 Euros. Tickets are also valid for the shuttle buses and the Munich metro system. Per admission ticket adults can be accompanied by up to four children, however metro fares are not included in this deal.